Please Help Wtih Stained Glass Look...ideas?

Baking By rockinbobbin Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 7:07pm by bonniebakes

rockinbobbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockinbobbin Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 4

There seem to be many different techniques to do this.
Here's the scoop - I am going to a dinner party where each couple brings a dish from another part of the world. My country is Morocco. I would also like to bring cookies decorated to look like Moroccan tiles. I was thinking of setting a "frame" around the cookie (on top of the stained glass) to look like a traditional moroccan door/window frame.
So......I will most likely use black Royal Icing for the design base. (or maybe gold?)
But, how should I make the stained glass/tile look?
Tint piping gel?
Simply paint with thinned out gel color?
Any ideas would be much appreciated - thank you!

Also - I have tried looking for good video/photo tutorials, but can't find any. Do you know of any?

3 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 4

if you wanted an actual "glass" i would go with the piping gel! If you were painting with thinned out gel color what would that be painted on? then you would get an opaque look i would think.

I don't know how the piping gel would hold up next to the royal icing tho....i would assume you would have to let that black outline really set. maybe someone else has advice on that! icon_smile.gif

good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

I've used piping gel on royal icing cookies with no problem. You'll want to apply it thinly and as far in advance as possible as it takes a LONG time to dry.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 4

you might try using glace as the "filling" of the glass parts. Glace is much more transparent-looking than RI, so it might give you the look you are going for and still be a tasty option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%