Sticking Regal Or Mexican Paste To Plastic

Decorating By bayley Updated 2 May 2012 , 9:25pm by Marianna46

bayley Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I am a newbie.
I have been searching for sometime without success.
I am making a large jubilie cake and am making a coronation crown out of plastic and want to cover it. How do I make the icing stick?
Thanks
Kathryn

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a suggestion. Why don't you try making your crown out of gumpaste? It dries extra hard and is very sturdy. There are any number of crown designs in the gallery here, some of which come with patterns. It wouldn't surprise me if you could find a tutorial here, too, or if not, maybe on YouTube.

jgifford Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 6

You could try painting it with piping gel first - - that stuff sticks to anything!

Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 6

It's funny you should say that, jgifford, because in my experience, piping gel won't stick to anything! Do you let it dry some before using it for sticking or what? I'd so love ti get this to work for me.

jgifford Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

It's funny you should say that, jgifford, because in my experience, piping gel won't stick to anything! Do you let it dry some before using it for sticking or what? I'd so love ti get this to work for me.

I just did 3 cakes last week with lots of fondant/gumpaste decorations and stuck everything together with piping gel. My "Cars" logo had to set overnight but held up wonderfully. I think as long as you use a thin coat and let it set, it works great.

Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, maybe that's it - I generally slather on a whole lot, which is strange, because when I uses CMC glue, I only use a dab. Thanks, I'll try doing it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%