Stabilized Whipped Cream Tree Stump

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 1:35pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 4:16am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a tree stump and need to use a stabilized whipped cream icing. I really don't want to attempt to cover it in fondant, especially given all I've read about disasters. I was thinking of spraying it brown with some of that Wilton spray, as I don't have an airbrush. And using knife/tools to score.
Do you think this would work? Any other ideas?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 4:57am
post #2 of 4

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm picturing what you are describing and I picture... poop. LOL, I am so sorry, but brown-painted buttercream or brown whipped cream tnds to look like poop. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know how you'd be able to pull this cake off not using either fondant or a chocolate meringue buttercream. Maybe you can do the whipped cream between your layers and a chocolate meringue buttercream on the outside?

Good luck!

carmijok Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 5:12am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I am doing a tree stump and need to use a stabilized whipped cream icing. I really don't want to attempt to cover it in fondant, especially given all I've read about disasters. I was thinking of spraying it brown with some of that Wilton spray, as I don't have an airbrush. And using knife/tools to score.
Do you think this would work? Any other ideas?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

Can you not just color it with gel food coloring? I covered my fairy tree house cake with chocolate buttercream... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2252982/2252990/childrens-birthday-cakes
I think whipped ganache would work well...or even a colored whipped icing would work well as long as you applied it with rough strokes. Make a small batch and try it first on a cupcake or small practice cake.

cakesrock Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

This would definitely not be my first choice, but I have already made a round cake and iced it with stabilized whipping cream. I love this combo with the particular cake and filling I'm using. THEN decided I want to do this particular design, as I'm putting a GPS compass type thing and a map on top (for hubby's b-day). A plain cake underneath just didn't cut it....

I guess I can only try spraying it, then if it doensn't work out, I'll have to take it off and do BC or whipped ganache (good idea too). I prefer that to having to do BC AND fondant on top...
Thanks for your comments/ideas! I'll let ya' know how it goes....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%