14 X6 Inch Cake - Need A Little Help, Please

Business By JWinslow Updated 28 Apr 2012 , 9:43pm by JWinslow

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all,
I need to make a 14 x 6 inch chocolate and vanilla layer cake and I have never made a cake this large. I have a few questions and welcome any advice you can give.
1. I read a 14x2" pan will need 13.5 Cups of batter. Yes?
2. I prefer scratch cakes but am not sure if doubling recipes is enough or even work. Should I make recipes one at a time and then combine? I only have a 5qt KA. (also have cake mixes on hand in a pinch) recipes welcome too - lol
3. Should I adjust my oven temp to 300 - 325 degrees and bake longer.
4. I am concerned about the cake baking evenly (I have several of the little ateco heating cores). Should I invest in bake even strips?

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated for this monster icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much in advance,

Jeanne

3 replies
mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 4

I can answer the baking part for you, I just baked 3 layers 12x18 I used 2 flower nails in the pan, And made my own baking strips, I took a large bath towel and cut all around the towel 2" strips and used those ( Of course soak them) and baked the cake at 325 and it baked great.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 4

........ I read a 14x2" pan will need 13.5 Cups of batter...
I *NEVER!* measure by cups icon_sad.gif Soooo messy & undependable - (did I scrape ALL of the batter out?). A 14x2 round pan uses 2 cake mixes.

...prefer scratch cakes but am not sure if doubling recipes is enough or even work. Should I make recipes one at a time and then combine? I only have a 5qt KA(also have cake mixes on hand in a pinch) ....
My *original* WASC recip would be perfect for youicon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe
... Should I adjust my oven temp to 300 - 325 degrees and bake longer....
See recipe instructions and read all the comments for the many helpful hints and answers.

..... concerned about the cake baking evenly (I have several of the little ateco heating cores). Should I invest in bake even strips?........
Again, see the recipe/insturctions. I never used heat cores but did use wet paper towels around the corners of my sq cakes.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

kakeladi,

Thanks - I was just reading your recipe. As this is for a child's birthday, I only have to do basic chocolate and vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%