Making And Decorating A Cake In Advance....

Decorating By CakinKimi Updated 3 May 2012 , 1:18pm by CakinKimi

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 2:04am
post #1 of 9

How far in advance can you bake and decorate a cake (and leave it out, not freezing it) before it gets stale/yucky? the cake is needed for next Saturday morning/afternoon, but Friday is my college graduation so I won't be able to do it then...I'm thinking of baking Wednesday and decorating Thursday evening?

Also, the sides of the cake (most likely a round cake, but not positive yet) will be black and white checkered....will there be an issue with the black bleeding into the white?

I live in central Florida. I'm not exactly sure what the temperature is supposed to be next weekend, but most likely hot. The party is outside...if I keep the cake in a cooler with ice until it's time to cut it should it be ok? Can anyone recommend a good butter cream that will stand up to Florida's heat/humidity? Preferably one that isn't all Crisco...I've never had good luck with that version and it's nasty.

TIA everyone!

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 2:31am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakinKimi

How far in advance can you bake and decorate a cake (and leave it out, not freezing it) before it gets stale/yucky?

The cake can't get stale if the air can't get through the icing to dry it out. The icing seals in the moisture... it will start to grow mold in about two weeks.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 2:45am
post #3 of 9

Lots of decorators from this site, use indydebi's b/c recipe and or sugarshack's b/c recipe. Theirs is not nasty. Look up their recipes on this site. I know sugarshacks uses hi-ratio shortening and you can also use it in indydebi's. They both live in hot climates. hth

CakinKimi Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:24am
post #4 of 9

Thanks ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Lots of decorators from this site, use indydebi's b/c recipe and or sugarshack's b/c recipe. Theirs is not nasty. Look up their recipes on this site. I know sugarshacks uses hi-ratio shortening and you can also use it in indydebi's. They both live in hot climates. hth

I've heard indydebi's is supposed to hold up really well in humidity...I read through most of the comments and 90% of them seem to be positive. One person said it was a disaster and she lived in Florida, but I think I will give it a try anyway.

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 1 May 2012 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 9

One suggestion I have if you don't like Crisco is to not use Crisco. I hate buttercream w/ Crisco. I think the aftertaste is terrible. I use generic shortening when I can't find hi ratio, and I always ALWAYS put at least 1 1/2 tsp of butter flavoring per batch. More for a really large batch.

Good Luck!

CakinKimi Posted 2 May 2012 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd01

One suggestion I have if you don't like Crisco is to not use Crisco. I hate buttercream w/ Crisco. I think the aftertaste is terrible. I use generic shortening when I can't find hi ratio, and I always ALWAYS put at least 1 1/2 tsp of butter flavoring per batch. More for a really large batch.

Good Luck!

I actually don't use crisco, I do use the generic but I always get the same yuckiness (unless I do half shortening and half butter, which I normally do, but this cake was going to be outside in Florida heat for a couple hours and it would melt to quickly if it had any butter in it). Since I only make cakes once in a while (like maybe 3 a year) I don't really want to spend the money on hi-ratio and no one around here that I've seen sells it, so I'd have to order it off the internet. But thank you. If I ever have the time to make cakes more often I definitely plan on buying hi ratio.

So I went and bought the stuff for Indydebi's BC yesterday and will try it today. Let's hope it works icon_smile.gif The cake was supposed to be for Saturday, but the date got changed and it's for today instead, which is good and bad. Lol. It's more stress right now, but I don't have to try and bake/decorate with a baby here (I'm baby sitting a 3 month old Thursday and Saturday), and I don't have to worry about it Friday since that's my College Graduation =D

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 9

Good luck!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 9

Congratulations on your graduation!!

CakinKimi Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks to all that helped. The cake turned out pretty decent. I'd say it's the best I've made (but I'm def still a beginner lol). I used Indydebi's BC and it was PERFECT. Even my mom like it...and she doesn't usually like butter cream.

And to carmijok, thank you icon_smile.gif I'm really excited. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%