Cake Pricing And Friends

Business By mamapastel Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 9:37am by soozicake

mamapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamapastel Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 9

So, I have a family friend that likes to buy cakes from me. Last time she ordered a 6 inch chocolate cake with chocolate icing and some sunflowers and daisies on top. I quoted her $24 and she was ok with it. When I took her the cake, I later realized she only gave me $20. I called her to let her know and she was all surprised and said, "for a 6 inch?" If she hadnt liked the price before, shouldnt she have said something before she placed the order? This lady is always tring to pull things off on me, she ordered cupcakes from me before and I told her $1.50 per cupcake, She ordered 18 and tried to give me $18 for them! Some people! She seems to think that I just make cake for the fun of it! Sometimes she even calls me to see if I have some cake or cookies "just laying around". I have let her know that I only make them if someone orders them. I am not a grocery store bakery. Maybe sometime in the future I will open up a bakery, but it would only be special order cakes. I think she believes that since she is a friend of the family that I have to give her special pricing. She is sadly mistaken! I just had to get that off of my chest!
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
c_mcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c_mcreations Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 9

Friends and family will be the first to take advantage of you. Life lessons...lol!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 9

Next time ask to be paid upfront, by mailing you a check if necessary. If you don't receive the full amount, ask her if she would like to cancel the order and have her money refunded or if she will be paying the remainder of the balance on her account.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 9

you are not alone. I had the same thing happen to me last wekend by my brother's wife. It so upsetting because I already argreed to do the cake for less than I would normally charge and she still decided to rip me off. Everyone says I should talk to her about it but I don't think it's worth the effort. There's no benefit to me keeping her has a client. So I won't be baking for her in the future she can go to the grocery store. It's funny family and friends are always the ones trying to take advantage of you and strangers pay me more than my asking price

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 9

Fellow cakers, we are in our 'happy place' i.e Cake Central....let's NOT talk about family hmm? I've realised that 'family' is just a word others like to use to get you to do what they want you to do for them...usually for next to nothing if not for free! (Especially if it's a 12'' triple layer double chocolate cake with chocolate AND white buttercream frosting)

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenej

I've realised that 'family' is just a word others like to use to get you to do what they want you to do for them...usually for next to nothing if not for free!

If that's true, then I feel truly sad for you. I agree, there are certain family members and friends who WILL try to take advantage of you, and those kind of people exist whether they're related to you or not, but that's all 'family' means to you then, well. I'm sorry you feel that way, I suppose, because nobody deserves to feel like that.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

Quote:

I've realised that 'family' is just a word others like to use to get you to do what they want you to do for them...usually for next to nothing if not for free!

If that's true, then I feel truly sad for you. I agree, there are certain family members and friends who WILL try to take advantage of you, and those kind of people exist whether they're related to you or not, but that's all 'family' means to you then, well. I'm sorry you feel that way, I suppose, because nobody deserves to feel like that.

I think you misunderstood arlenej.

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:57am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

Quote:

I think you misunderstood arlenej.

I hope so! icon_redface.gif

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 9:37am
post #9 of 9

Sadly it happens. Caking, sewing, anything people can't do themselves. I have a friend who offers my sewing talents to her workmates and friends. I only did it once (never got paid) and have refused since. I have been waiting for her to offer cakes! I still love my dear friend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%