Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By cakefemme Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 7:13pm by jgifford

cakefemme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefemme Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any advice about using modeling chocolate? I do a lot of sculpting on my cakes, but I have never used modeling chocolate. I've seen it on tv shows, and it looks so much easier to use than fondant or gum paste. I've also attempted to make it myself after watching a how-to video on youtube, but it did not turn out at all! Does anyone make their own, and if so, would you mind posting a recipe? If anyone buys it already made, could you recommend a place to get it or order it? Thanks so much!

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 4

I did a video on youtube about how to make it, so I hope that it wasn't mine that you watched if yours didn't turn out! I love it, it's really easy to work with. Not great for hot weather, though, it's best for cool weather use. You can also add it half and half to fondant to give the fondant some extra flexibility. The trick when you're making it is to not stir it too much, or it will separate. You want to get it to where it's all combined but once it starts to seize up you can't work it much more or it will get grainy.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

I stumbled upon a recipe that worked great for me. It's your basic recipe but the difference is that your heat the corn syrup. The warm syrup stirred with the warm chocolate gives it more time to "come together" if that makes sense. Do not over mix or it will get really oily.

8 oz chocolate (I used candy melts because thats what I had on hand)
3 oz of corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
plastic wrap
Instructions
1 Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. To create a double boiler, fill the saucepan with water, bring it to a boil, turn off the heat, and rest the bowl on the inside rim of the saucepan, just above the height of the water. This ensures the chocolate does not get overheated.

2 Cool the melted chocolate until it feels cool, but is fluid

3 Heat the corn syrup until it just starts to boil.

4 Add the heated corn syrup to the melted chocolate and mix with a rubber spatula until it forms a smooth paste. Do not over mix!

5 Wrap the mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

6 Allow the modeling chocolate to firm and chill all the way through. This may take up to an hour.

7 Remove the modeling chocolate from the refrigerator and knead until it becomes soft and pliable.

8 Shape into logs for easy storage. Store wrapped and refrigerated.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

I cover my cakes with modeling chocolate or at most a 50/50 mix of modeling chocolate and fondant, simply for the taste. However, after last night, I'm tempted to scrap that idea. The double batch of modeling chocolate I made was beautiful and fluffy and had not one iota of stretch at all.

At one this morning, I was looking at a 1/4 sheet sitting on my counter with the most beautiful, perfectly smooth coating of white buttercream. It was supposed to be UT orange with a white longhorn on it and finished. icon_mad.gif

I tried glycerin. I tried corn syrup. I tried GumTex. Finally, I used the last of my fondant to mix with it (as well as the last of my orange coloring) and finally got the cake covered. Now I have to make a mad dash to the cake supply shop after work and pay an ungodly amount for a package of fondant so I can speed home and finish the cake before my customer comes to pick it up.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask about that, but it's on my mind. I usually don't have that kind of trouble with modeling chocolate. I like to cover cakes with it because it stays soft and it tastes so much better than fondant.

I use 2 packages of candy melts or 1 package of almond bark and 1/2 cup of corn syrup. Melt the bark/melts/chips in the microwave in 30 second increments. Mix in the corn syrup and turn out on wax paper. As soon as you can pick it up, knead it until it smooths out. This will also get the extra oil out of it. It's very messy, but necessary. Let it rest a couple of hours or overnight. You may need to warm it slightly in the microwave when you get ready to use it. If I'm going to make flowers or figures with it, I'll mix it with fondant or gum paste. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%