Ganache Help

Decorating By JodieB Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 4:12am by cakesrock

JodieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieB Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! I want to cover my cake with ganache and then fondant. Alot of the recipes I've read say to let the ganache sit overnight. Then you cover the cake and let it sit out again overnight. Is that really necessary? Does anyone use the ganache the same night? Can I just pop it in the fridge for a few hours? Thanks for the help!

4 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

Test run a small cake.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

You need to let the ganache cool to room temperature before it will be thick enough for spreading. I've made ganache in the morning and used it that afternoon if it was cool enough. Once in an emergency, I've made ganache and spread it out very thin on a tray so it would cool and thicken more quickly, but it was a huge mess, and I wouldn't recommend it!

I have found that letting the cake sit overnight after being genached is unnecessary. I just let it sit until it firms up and dries out a bit. About an hour is usually fine, and it doesn't need to be in the fridge.

JodieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieB Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 7:08am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips. I ended up letting the ganache sit for a few hours in the fridge and it set nicely. My cake is ganached but I'm too tired, so I will cover it with fondant in the morning. I appreciate the reply!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 4:12am
post #5 of 5

I have also popped it in the freezer to speed up setting time - worked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%