Covering A Cake In Ganache Then Fondant

Decorating By socosweets Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm by socosweets

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:01am
post #1 of 4

I tend to focus on cupcakes so when it comes to cakes I tend to need some advice. I have read that you can cover a cake in ganache and then cover it in fondant and its a smoother cleaner look than using buttercream. When I make ganache I use an equal ratio but I usually make the ganache to then whip up for a filling. Would I use the same ratio or do I need to change that. Also what is the trick to keeping the ganache from not going all over the cake board? And would I be able to do a chocolate ganache under white fondant or would the chocolate show through the fondant? I use Satin Ice brand.

To give some more background on the cake (which any help with this would be appreciated as well) Im doing one of those pregnant belly cakes. I was thinking since the cakes wont be filled due to their size (or can I still fill those cakes or would it loose its shape a bit?) if I covered the cakes (vanilla cake) in a dark chocolate ganache and then cover with fondant it will give it a nice taste. The fondant dress will be a green with a navy blue ribbon.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I have tried to look for a topic posted about this but have not found any.

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:45am
post #2 of 4

Check out this link from fellow CC'er Rylan - it should answer many of your questions!

http://www.artandappetite.com/category/recipes/

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 4

There is a 3 part tutorial on youtube about this its posted by inspirebymichelle. There great videos!

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the links!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%