What Do You Do When You Get Sick?

Business By CupcakeQT82 Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 2:14pm by Chellescakes

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 12

What do you do when you are the only employee and get sick and have a large order???

11 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

What do you do when you are the only employee and get sick and have a large order???

For me..
I put on a mask and gloves, and get it done. It's not easy, but it has to get done.

Here are some food handling tips from the US government website when you have the flu:
http://answers.flu.gov/categories/346

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 12

If you absolutely have no help and you have no one you can refer the order to..... if you are still mobile, cover up as if you were going to the hopsital nursery, you can get a painters mask, wear gloves and keep clorox wips handy to continually wipe down everything. Just make sure you are very careful not to allow anything touch your cake ingredients that you could have touched with your bare hands or other bodily fluids or parts. Careful Careful Careful!

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 12

What if its a wedding and will take time and you are too run down??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:43am
post #5 of 12

As has been suggested it depends on how sick you are and how much you can 'cover up;, but basically just push through it as best you can.
Then when you get better try, try, try to find others near you who can help out.
Too bad I moved to CA or I would offer to help you icon_smile.gif

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:10am
post #6 of 12

It depends how sick you are. If you are so sick that you are in danger of degenarating into something catastrophic like having a stroke, find someone to help you. If there is no one, cancel order. Explain to customer.
Best wishes.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:22am
post #7 of 12

I had my appendix removed on a thursday and was at the work the next day because I had a cupcake wedding fri and a 3 tier cake saturday, so I may not be the best person to ask... lol. I'm the only person in my bakery, but I work at a venue and the chef and FOH manager got their work done thurs so they could help me on friday when I came back. Without them I do have a friend who does cakes too and would come help me in emergency situations (I've had to help her a few times too!)
For me, I am just stubborn enough to make it work no matter what. Like they said sanitize and cover up and maybe try and spread the work out scheduling yourself some good breaks so you don't get too worn out. You can also put out a thread on here asking if there are any bakers in your area who can come help you out?

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:52am
post #8 of 12

I can truly say that I have dragged myself to my shop to work when I would have called in sick in a second if I'd had a real job.

Glove and mask up for virus, cold. Get to the Dr. and get some meds for flu or infections. Maybe you can find a friend or neighbor to help out with some of it.

If you have a local technical/trade school with a culinary arts program in your area, maybe the instructor could recommend one of the students who could help out somehow (cutting out fondant flowers, mixing batter). Just a thought.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:03am
post #9 of 12

If you don't have the energy drink a 5 hour energy drink it works every time!!!

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:27am
post #10 of 12

never been sick while decorating/baking but i ALWAYS scrub hands/nails with a nail brush!! soapy hot warm hot water. so keep a nail brush handy. you gotta get intimate with the fondant so super clean hands/nails!!

ugh what is the clean-up afterwards like when you are sick?

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:56am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

What if its a wedding and will take time and you are too run down??

I have been there..
Ashleyssweetdesigns said it right, pop some red bull or 5 hour energy and pull through, when you get to the wedding put on your happy face.. then go home and crash!

Here is a futurama moment for you icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 12

I am a member of my local cake decorating association, when ever anyone is sick the call to arms goes out and the cake army swings into action.
I have been part of the army at times and also the recipient of the help given.

It ensures a bride never gets disappointed.
I even had some of the ladies help me teach my classes when I broke my ribs.
So my advice to anyone is get involved in your local cake association if there is one in your area. the back up and support is well and truly worth it , also you get to meet a lot of great people that don't get sick of you talking about cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%