Does Canned Frosting Freeze Well?

Decorating By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 3:08am by hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 4

Normally, my frosting of choice is a cold-process buttercream, the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before I was born. It's what I'm used to; it's easy to modify; it's cheap; it tastes good. And I've just made up a scaling chart, so that I can make it in increments of less than a full one-pound box of powdered sugar.

But for chocolate cakes, I use canned frosting. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

Mainly because I don't eat chocolate, and asking me to bake a chocolate cake at all is sort of like asking a vegan chef to make steak tartare.

So I get a Duncan Hines "Swiss Chocolate" mix, and a can of their "Classic Chocolate" frosting. And I'm told it turns out quite well.

And since the shelf-life of an opened can of the stuff is two weeks in the refrigerator, and most of my cakes are sheet cakes served in the pan, I end up throwing out half the can. Which strikes me as a waste.

So does an opened can of the stuff freeze well? And for how long? Any special preparation or thawing instructions?

3 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:10am
post #2 of 4

Yup I freeze buttercream flavor for cake pops so I dont have to make a new batch each time I get an order to only end up using 2 tablespoons lol. It keeps for months.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:24am
post #3 of 4

Oh please save y our moneyicon_smile.gif Yes it does fz very well.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%