Pastry Pride Question

Decorating By lyndim Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 3:02pm by Moosetracks48

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone filled cupcakes with Pastry pride? How does it hold up? What about heat, does it melt? Also, what about flavoring and coloring? Thanks for any and all info you all can share!

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 1:04am
post #2 of 13

Yes, it can be used in ccs. It will melt over 85 degrees.
It does NOT take color well.... just pastel colors. Flavoring of any kind/amount is fine added.

lyndim Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 2:01am
post #3 of 13

Thanks kakeladi!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 May 2012 , 8:07am
post #4 of 13

Pastry Pride is a whipped topping like Cool Whip. I use Frostin Pride which is made by the same company but is a frosting and more stable. I use Frostin Pride in liquid form and mix two cups with one small box of instant pudding and whip until peaks form it makes a wonderful filling that can be left unrefrigerated for up to five days. My favorite puddings to use are vanilla, chocolate fudge, white chocolate and banana cream.

lyndim Posted 3 May 2012 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 13

Sweettreat101, I'll have to try Frostin Pride. Where can you find it? Do you use it to fill cupcakes too? Thanks for the tip!

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 13

Often Frostin Pride is found at the same place Pastry Pride is. Being as you are in CA you should be able to find it at Smart & Final. It comes in vanilla and chocolate and the chocolate is to die! for icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:35am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

Sweettreat101, I'll have to try Frostin Pride. Where can you find it? Do you use it to fill cupcakes too? Thanks for the tip!

You can use the same method with Pastry Pride to make a filling. The pudding mix makes it stiffer and it fills nicely.

Rae

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:39am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

Someone in my flowers class mentioned that Sam's sells it. It's in the frozen section.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 13

Smart and Final carries it. Pastry Pride doesn't taste the same to me. If you like the taste of Cool Whip it's fine. I'm sure it would work but the Frostin Pride in my opinion is a better more stable product. Sam's Club sells it already whipped in a very large bucket at the bakery department. I used it to frost and decorate the blue Quince cake in my photos so I needed a large quantity but I also needed to be able to color a large batch in blue. With Frostin Pride the more you whip it the stiffer it get's so I didn't want to take a chance with trying to color a large bucket of already whipped frosting. Frostin Pride comes in vanilla and chocolate.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 13

I've always taken the name difference to indicate the product's similarity to either frosting (Frostin' Pride) or pastry cream (Pastry Pride). I'd expect a frosting to be denser and to hold color and shape well, but that wouldn't necessarily be an issue for a filling.

Although I do sometimes fill cakes & cupcakes with frosting, I usually prefer to have a lighter texture for fillings. Since I make my own shelf stable buttercreams, I rely on the Pastry Pride to give me a shelf stable filling option.

Rae

kakeladi Posted 7 May 2012 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 13

....I've always taken the name difference to indicate the product's similarity to either frosting (Frostin' Pride) or pastry cream (Pastry Pride). I'd expect a frosting to be denser and to hold color and shape well......

Years ago I talked w/the company and they were very upset to hear of the many, many who were using Pastry Pride to ice cakes icon_sad.gif The explained how much different the two products were. FP takes color much better; holds it shape when piped much better, etc. In other words it was designed to be a denser product for that use.

kitkatkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitkatkake Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

new here & need some help, making cupcakes and wanted to cover them with sugar crystals/sanding sugar, does anyone know if either of these would be ok to frost & cover in crystals the day before or would the crystals melt/dissolve in the icing? Thank you for any advise

Moosetracks48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moosetracks48 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 13

Can you add peanut butter to PP to flavor it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%