Gumpaste Drying

Decorating By bonniebakes Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 4:09pm by bonniebakes

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a not-to-be-eaten decoration for a cake out of gum paste (I bought the pre-made stuff) and I want it to be totally dry and hard. I know I can make it as much in advance as I'd like, but my question is how can I store it so that the humidity doesn't make it soft again... or will gum paste, once dry, remain that way even if stored in an airtight container?

I would like to keep it in a plastic box for about a week after it's dry before I need to use it. Will fairly thin pieces remain dry and hard stored that way?

thanks in advance!

6 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 7

I would think that you should be fine. As long as the plastic box is kept airtight, I don't see how the moisture in the air would get in the box. I've never had a problem with gumpaste becoming soft again, but I live in southern California, and we're pretty much humidity free.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

Just make sure the airtight container is left in a cool place. One time I tried to save some fall gumpaste leaves and I stored them in an airtight container also but didn't think to keep it in a cool dry place and they had become soft overtime and lost there pretty shape.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

If you can get your hands on a couple of those little packetts that often come in shoe boxes (that absorb moisture) it would be helpful to add them to your stored gp.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

I have some gumpaste pieces I made just over a year ago stored in a zip lock baggie, they are still hard as a rock. But I did have some fondant ones that I made and stored in a plastic container for a few months, when I went back they were all gooey. I am guessing this was because there was still some moisture in the fondant when I stored it.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

I'm guessing you don't have a kiln? Silica gel packs (I get mine from Amazon...actually, I get EVERYTHING from Amazon) in a ziploc bag and the bag in a container and you should be fine.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 7

thank you all for your responses! That's what I thought, but before I get to work on it I just wanted to be sure it would stay hard and dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%