Fondant Or Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 4:18am by annakat444

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 3

I'm taking a molding class tonight, learning how to make characters, etc. I just assumed it'd be using modeling chocolate but I was just told it'll be using fondant. Why would someone use fondant for figures, bows, etc over modeling chocolate? Now I'm by no means an expert with them, but I've played around with both, and modeling chocolate seems so much less temperamental and so much easier to work with, easier to store, etc.

I'm a hobby baker (for now icon_wink.gif so it's more economical to make my fondant until I can buy it in bulk wholesale. I've just been having issues with MMF and got burned out so am taking a break from it for a while. Can't I just forget about fondant altogether? Grrrrrr.....

2 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

Boy, I wish I was near you, I would love a class like that, but I agree with you that it is easier to mold with the chocolate especially since my mmf never seems to get hard. I would even use gum paste or a mix before i would use straight fondant. But who knows, maybe there is something else that I don't know. icon_lol.gif

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:18am
post #3 of 3

Well I went to the class and it was really helpful, turns out the only reason she taught it with fondant is because that's what she's done for years and years and that's just what she knows and works for her. She did bring up a good point, with the humidity here in Mississippi you have to be careful using modeling chocolate. Anyway I learned a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%