Will This Work In Reality?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 4:40am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not even sure how it will work in my mind... I need an anniversary cake for 40. I have what I WANT to do in my brain, but not sure how it will really look/cut/serve.

Will this work -- a 9" square base layer - 2" high which will have a basketweave bc around it. The next layer up is also 2" high but trimmed so that it angles in towards the center - and then a 3rd 2" layer that's angled more - so that the base layer is straight up and down, and the next two layers make a sort of dome. These top two layers will be covered in bc flowers.

It will be a carrot cake, if that makes any difference. I was thinking of cutting 3 3" "logs" and slicing them up into about 14 pieces ea.

Will this work? Or will the pieces look silly? They could wind up being about 7" tall!! Maybe if I trimmed the base layer a bit... I just want the top to be domed enough so it looks like a basket of flowers would - not flat.
Should I just re-think this all?

I need to get these cakes baked asap - so I have to figure out if I need to run to JoAnn's and get a different pan. I only have rounds and the usual 9x13. I was afraid to go much larger in diameter because then it might look just too big for a "real" basket of flowers - plus I don't know if can make the oodles of flowers I'd need to fill it!

4 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe I'm not following, but what are the "logs" for?

I'm following the rest with the domes center cakes covered in flowers (neat idea, BTW), but why aren't you making the actual basket part of the cake taller than 2"?

Wildgirl Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry - the "logs" are how I'd cut it - into 3 long sections and then slice those up.

I was thinking that if I made the basket part taller, then the flower part would still need to be at least two layers tall to give it enough height. Then I'd have over 8" in height - I could make it two layers and use a sps to separate the top.... and then I could go with a slightly smaller diameter pan so it wouldn't get so crazy big with the amt of flowers....

Ok, I'll have to rethink size again.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

Wow, thanks Shanter! Some of those basket cakes are amazing. I wish I knew enough to do sugar flowers... I lovelovelove how gorgeous they can look. Bc is just not the same, But hopefully it will look nice just the same!

Those pics were inspiring. I think I have the dimensions figured out now. Working off 4 2" layers, with the top two layers being the dome that will be covered with flowers. And on a sps plate so it can be removed for serving. Hmmmm... I can't remember what size sps plates I have... I hope I have one that works!!

Now I have to decide if I should go with mixed flowers or all roses. It dawned on me tonight that since this is a 25th anniversary party, maybe all roses might be nicer...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%