Gumpaste Help

Decorating By cindylou2 Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 2:40am by cindylou2

cindylou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindylou2 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

I posted this question in the cupcake forum also.
I'm hoping someone can help with my dilemma. I'm just a novice hobby baker and love to bake cupcakes for friends and family. I decided to try and make gumpaste flowers to place on my cupcakes for a friends birthday. I made the flowers last night and a few were "melted" this morning. I'm a little afraid that if I place them on the buttercream icing, they will all melt. Can anyone tell me if the gumpaste flowers will be ok on the buttecream icing or if I should use something else to make the flowers with. TIA

3 replies
nanachele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanachele Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, I usually mix half gum paste with half fondant. Dry them out before putting on cake, or put them on a piece of parchment paper. Good luck.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 4

The flowers need to be dry before you place them on your cake/cupcake. Make the flowers a couple days in advance and let them dry in flower former's or on parchment or waxed paper. Don't put the flowers on the cupcakes until the day you want to serve them. They should hold their shape just fine for you. Fondant, gum paste and royal icing will eventually get soft on buttercream if left long enough that is normal, but it does take a good few days.

Good Luck

cindylou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindylou2 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 2:40am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to leave them overnight and then put the on the cupcakes in the morning when my hubby takes them into work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%