Anyone Ever Mixed I/smbc With Abc?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 28 May 2012 , 7:31pm by vgcea

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 8

I have a client who does not like straight I/SMBC but also doesn't like the grittiness of ABC. I was wondering if anyone has ever mixed the two after both are made. Because I make to order, I don't have any to test it out with, and even if I did, I don't know over the long term how it would hold up in or out of the refrigerator.

Any experience or thoughts?

7 replies
lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 11 May 2012 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 8

Just an update: I found this recipe here and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/fluffy-american-buttercream

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:51am
post #3 of 8

The whipped cream buttercream recipe is similar and I love it. It's basically 1/2 and 1/2.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

I love it because it uses meringue powder and I can keep that on hand easilyicon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 May 2012 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

I don't know about SMBC but for what it's worth, I've tried adding powdered sugar to IMBC and the results weren't good. I've also tried adding a tablespoon full of flour to IMBC to help it set up stiffer and that didn't work well either.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

Been testing out different recipes for 100 degree Texas summer, as SMBC couldn't make it in the heat.

I tried the whipped cream buttercream with different variations of butter/shortening ratio but it turned out VERY gritty. For whatever reason the meringue was GRITTY. Couldn't have been the sugar since I used a pure cane sugar. I'm wondering how I can get the meringue NOT be gritty.

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

I like to use SMBC exclusively, but we all know that it doesn't do well on very hot days. In that case I mix 2/3 SMBC with 1/3 sugarshack's BC and it works well for me. It still has the wonderful taste of SMBC but the durability of ABC in the heat. This is for cupcake swirls.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

Look at crumbboss' recipes on youtube ,etc. she makes a recipe of smbc and uses 10 sugar. it is very good. hth i have also made imbc with butter and hi-ratio shortening and add 10 sugar(sifted) at the end. I can,t think of the site i got that from . This person cake with that icing won first place at a wedding cake contest. hth

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Icer 101. I just found a site that describes reconstituting by "softening" the meringue powder in warm water for about 5 minutes before use. I'm going to try this.

I already have MBCs that I use, I just need a back up for the days when our temps hit the 3 digits. Tried my SMBC yesterday and I was very sad to see it melt. Thankfully it was a test cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%