Going From A 9" To A 12" - How Much Batter To Make

Baking By pammylynn Updated 24 Apr 2012 , 4:55pm by pammylynn

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 4

Okay - - I've been asked to make a 12" round Hummingbird cake. My recipe makes a 3 layer, 9" round cake. I've never made a Hummingbird cake before, not that it matters much. I'm trying to figure out how much additional cake batter to make to fill 3 - 12" pans, versus 3 - 9" pans. Anyone done this before? The ingredients in this cake are more expensive - beyond the normal flour/sugar, etc, there's crushed pineapples, bananas and pecans. I really don't want to have to over-buy to make sure I have enough as I will probably never make this cake again unless this customer reorders.

Thanks!

3 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 4

a 12 inch round requires about 7 1/2 cups of batter it also really depends on your cake batter and how much it rises. Do you tort your layers? If not you will need about 22 cups of batter which should make three cakes. If you do tort them you will need about 15 cups which will make two cakes and you can tort them to have four layers. I fill my pans 2/3 full.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 4

Three 9x2" cakes are 382 cubic inches. Three 12x2" cakes are 679 cubic inches. 679 divided by 382 = 1.77. You need to multiply your recipe by 1.77 (or maybe just 2 if that's easier)

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome! Thank you so much y'all!!! I appreciate the help so much!!
icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%