My Son Is Painting His Own Birthday Cake-

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 24 Apr 2012 , 3:01pm by Ashleyssweetdesigns

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

My kids always pick out what kind of bday cake they want me to make and they have a blast picking it out. This year I asked my son if he would want to paint his cake himself ( turning 8 years old) on white fondant, and he was really excited about it. I told him he should start brainstorming on what he wants to paint, and maybe practice on some paper first. Any ideas on how to proceed from here? Do you think I should guide him towards a design/picture or just let him paint as he goes? He is a perfectionist so I'm worried that if he's not happy with the end result he'll be upset, although I know that either way it will be an adorable cake. Opinions please?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

It may depend on how senitive he is. This can be a real learning experience for him.
Do you really think he will be sooo upset that he will trash the cake?
Point out to him that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'....
Let him know that mistakes are o.k. sometimes - one can turn it into something else equally as beautiful as the 1st idea. let him learn that not everything comes out perfect everytime.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

How is he with drawing/painting? Does he have a lot of artwork on the fridge? If so, I'd give him food markers or brushes and colorings and let him go at it. He'll be so proud, Mom. thumbs_up.gif

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 10:33am
post #4 of 6

This post reminded me of this blog post: http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/rainbow-doodle-birthday-cake/

Perhaps that will help icon_smile.gif

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys! Tails- thats where I got the idea from icon_smile.gif I hope he'll be ok! I think I'll just encourage him to practice first and hope for the best!

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 6

knowing my own child I would have him practice first. She is also a perfectionist and if something doesn't come out right the first time she gets very sensitive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%