Dripping Chocolate Stacked Cake

Decorating By ClareBear66 Updated 24 Apr 2012 , 12:17am by Sarahoza

ClareBear66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClareBear66 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I am doing my brothers wedding cake this week, it is similar to this one but decorated with chocolate covered strawberries instead of flowers

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1330557/classic-chocolate-drip-with-fresh-roses

I have did a few practice runs & it turned out lovely accept for a few things I was hoping to get your advise on;
1 - The top 2 strawberries are going to be decorated as a bride & groom - I decroated fresh strawberries with fondant dress & tux, it was fine but the strawberry condensation caused it to break up - I really dont want to make fake fondant strawberries - any suggestions
2 - I have to transport this cake the day before about 3 hour drive - I am from N.Ireland so I am not too concerned about a lovely hot sunny day as we never have them, but does the dripping chocolate crack or anything during transport?
3 - Any advise for getting beautiful white buttercream - I use a butter & icing sugar mix recipe, no veg shortening as I hate the taste

Thanks in advance
Clare

1 reply
Sarahoza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahoza Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 12:17am
post #2 of 2

Hi there,

First of all best of luck with your cake.

Secondly, I don't have much experience in cake decoration but I do have a suggestion or two.

Regarding point number one how about covering the strawberries with white (bride) & dark (groom) chocolate it would even taste and look better than fondant. There are many tutorials which demonstrate a thorough how-to and they come up real cute.

Point number 2, I'm not sure if this is accurate but maybe if you use a ganache recipe which includes light corn syrup you won't have to worry about the chocolate breaking. Please everyone correct me if I'm wrong. When I covered my cake with ganache that had corn syrup in it, it remained soft the whole time even after I took it out of the fridge.

Point number 3, I assume you gotta use shortening cause when using butter, the buttercream will always have that yellowish tint in it. And you can always add flavors to change the taste. Again not sure whether this will work but did consider adding white food coloring to it??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%