Does This Sound Right?

Decorating By jena2727 Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 2:53am by DeniseNH

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:47am
post #1 of 8

I am pricing a cake similar to the link below. It would be 6-8-10 for 60 servings. All fondant with gumpaste tiara. Using the pricing matrix it came out to $210.92 I then priced at $3.50 per serving and came to $210. Since the numbers were almost exact I feel the pricing is correct and what I should be charging. I am only 2 months into my home business and always feel like I'm over charging. I'd prefer not to hear the "price depends on your cost" speech, I am aware of this and have all of my costs in the pricing matrix. If anyone is willing to give their opinion on this being an "average" price or not, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24367079@N04/5720719282/

7 replies
thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

It does always depend on where you live and what the prices in your area are. However I personally wouldn't do it for less then $250.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:20am
post #3 of 8

That sounds pretty good for a base price. But does it include the extra work for the tiara, the quilting, and the swag?

The way I see it, base prices cover the cake with standard decorations - a few roses and some lettering. All of the rest are add-ons. If you don't want to make them additional offer them but raise your base price to account for it?

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:47am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies! Seems like I am on the right track considering differences in personal costs and location.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:53am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jena2727

It would be 6-8-10 for 60 servings.

74 servings...
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

She is going by the Wilton party serving guide

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:38am
post #7 of 8

I know you don't want to hear it, but your price really does depend on your cost as well as local market conditions. Here in CA we probably would have charged in the $400-500 range for that cake.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

Ribbon roses are easy. The fabric drape is very thin so you'll need to run your gumpaste through a pasta machine on the thinnest setting, the rope twists need to be extruded to get both lengths even, to get the diamond design exact you'll need a diamond impression tool, the only thing that concerns me is the tiara. It's gorgeous but very delicate. I think I'd make it out of unbreakable lace for transport. So if you have a pasta machine, an extruder, diamond impression tool and some unbreakable lace, you should be good at that price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%