Hungry Hungry Hippos Cake

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 17 May 2012 , 2:35pm by mystsparkle

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:40am
post #1 of 5

So i'm going to be make a Hungry Hungry Hippos cake to look like the actual game board. I decided to go with a 12 square pan, and then make the hippos attached to the side. Wondering what you'll might think would work out best: A. Making the hippos out of caked, carved to the shape covered in fondant...or B. Making the hippos out of rice crispies treats shaped to size and covered in fondant. I think i'd like to make them out of cake...but if I do...can I do this in advance (say 2 weeks in advance) cover them in fondant and freeze? until needed to add to the cake?

Thanks!!

4 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

I found a Hungry Hungry Hippos cake that someone else on CakeCentral posted. You could try messaging them and ask them what they used for their cake. Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2081562/hungry-hungry-hippo

mystsparkle Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

Great Idea! I went ahead and msg'd them..but it doesnt look like they've been on (or at least posted anything) since 2011/. We'll see if they write back. I did a search on freezing fondant cakes and it seems people have had good luck with it. The cake itself i'm making will feed enough, so really the Hippos don't have to be eatten..but just incase wanted to make sure they will still taste good!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

If it were me, I would make the hippos out of RKT or more likely just fondant. Each one is small enough that (for me) it would be a huge PIA to make them out of cake.

mystsparkle Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies! I ended up using rice crispy treats for the head/neck/body. And the base that each hippo sits on was cake. Thanks!!
Here's a photo incase you want to see the outcome.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2324044/hungry-hungry-hippos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%