Gold Colored Fondant

Decorating By akaivyleaf Updated 6 Nov 2013 , 10:35pm by imaan

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 18

Any suggestions for getting my fondant covered cake to be gold in color?

I have to make a book cake for a graduation celebration. The schools colors are gold and royal blue and my client wants a blue book with gold lettering and a gold book with blue lettering. Blue isn't a problem.... Gold is.

I am open to suggestions, please.

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:51am
post #2 of 18

You can paint the gold on. Mix gold dust with vodka or everclear. If you start with yellow fondant, it won't take as many coats of the edible paint.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:24am
post #3 of 18
akaivyleaf Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 2:58am
post #4 of 18

Thanks so much for the suggestions of the edible luster dust and vodka as well as the wonderful blog posting.

Now how does this option taste in the quantity needed to cover a 9x12x2 cake?

Anyone ever used edible spray gold metallic paint?

I hadn't told my client about the dependency of light for the metallic shine - but I will do so on Monday.

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 3:27am
post #5 of 18

It'll definitely be more impressive if she has some kind of a spotlight on it.

I've used the gold spray before and it works fine if you do several thin coats, but the powder and vodka paint is faster. And no, the amount of luster dust or spray needed for that kind of shine does NOT enhance the flavor of the cake in any way, shape or form! icon_rolleyes.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:04am
post #6 of 18

PME sells a gold edible spray. I have used the pearl, silver and the red and I have never had any complaints about the taste. I would color the fondant a golden yellow and then spray with the PME spray. This is what I do when using colors like silver and gold. For silver I color the fondant gray. You can use Fondant glaze or dusts mixed with vodka but it is so much easier to use the spray and flawless.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:39am
post #7 of 18

Alternatively, you can use real gold leaf icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

that works the best but it's expeeeeensive!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 18

I believe we used gold luster mixed with confectioners glaze or orange oil in a class I took. It went on so much easier than mixed with vodka. We only did small pieces but it may be worth a try to see how it works for you. It is much less streaky.

akaivyleaf Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

that works the best but it's expeeeeensive!

That wasn't an option made available to the customer. I would like to use it at some point, but this isn't the cake icon_sad.gif

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:

I did a blog entry about this very topic... http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-get-gold-finish-on-fondant.html

Can I just say that you are a wealth of information and Thanks for sharingicon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 18

@christinecmc you are certainly welcome!

@sweet ideas, did the orange oil dry okay or did it stay tacky? The confectioner's glaze idea is interesting, I'm going to try that. That stuff is toxic smelling, though. I know it isn't toxic but it sure stinks. I find that as long as the vodka isn't too much, in other words as long as the "paint"is thick enough, it isn't streaky. When there's too much vodka it's harder to get a good color. I just did a cake with silver bands on it yesterday and the silver went on really well when the paint was thicker.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 18

I used dusts mixed with oil in culinary school. Seems to be a common idea. Anyway, it took forever to dry and was MUCH more difficult than using the vodka. Vodka is a "real world" solution.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 18

I frequently use petal dust in vodka to paint whatever I want to color. Another alternative that I also use frequently is to apply airbrush colors - undiluted- with an artists brush. I use Lucks Airbrush color that I get at my local cake decorating supply store. I have an airbrush and use it, but only infrequently because it's difficult - at least for me - to get really uniform color (and no drips). I wouldn't recommend the cans of spray color to anyone.... lots of work and expense for not so much color. In my opionion, the colors just aren't intense enough.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 12:00pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:

@christinecmc you are certainly welcome!

@sweet ideas, did the orange oil dry okay or did it stay tacky? The confectioner's glaze idea is interesting, I'm going to try that. That stuff is toxic smelling, though. I know it isn't toxic but it sure stinks. I find that as long as the vodka isn't too much, in other words as long as the "paint"is thick enough, it isn't streaky. When there's too much vodka it's harder to get a good color. I just did a cake with silver bands on it yesterday and the silver went on really well when the paint was thicker.

My piece was small, but it dried completely--I didn't notice it being sticky. It was a small piece, though. I have no idea how doing a whole layer would work out.

imaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaan Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 11:16am
post #16 of 18

AI was wondering if there is a substitute for the alcohol? I need to make a gold cake but an unable to use alcohol is their an alternative?

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 18

AImaan you can use water or dry dust it. I've done it with water and a large sofy brush. Just try not to go over the same area twice or you'll remove the gold you put on. Then once its dry you can dust on top again for a smoother finish.

imaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaan Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 10:35pm
post #18 of 18

AThank you. I'll give it a go :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%