Cricut Cake Anyone?

Baking By cakespender Updated 21 May 2012 , 3:45am by FromScratchSF

cakespender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakespender Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:32am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone! I made some great purchases in Winners today and was surprised to see they had a Cricut Cake machine, so have you used one or heard anything about them? I told hubby I wanted it for my birthday gift but want to know if its worth it.

18 replies
akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 19

I bought one, just yesterday.

After reading about the difficulties some have had cutting fondant with it, I was prepared fr frustration but I was so successful, I was dancing with delight in my kitchen. A very good investment for me.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 19

I think it is worth it! Just make sure to watch the online tutorials. There are a lot on Utube

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 19

There is a ton of info on CC about them. Sometimes it's difficult to do a search on here....if you google "cricut cake machine, cakecentral" you will get plenty of info!!

I still want one... although I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 19

I got one for Mother's day last year and I LOVE it. I bought some extra mats, (got lucky and found some on clearance) and I do what was recommended and roll my fondant out on the mat and then stick it in the freezer for a few minutes, it really helps! For my cartriges I have gotten a couple of good deals on ebay, and at Big Lots! I offered to do a cake for cost just so I could see how it would turn out. Also, wish I could get the "sure cuts alot" program that was available a couple of years ago, it allowed you to cut any clip art. Have fun!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:57am
post #6 of 19

I have one and hate it.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 1:11am
post #7 of 19

I love mine now, but previously hated it. There is a learning curve with it until you find what works for you. I use it to cut the Wilton sugar sheets for letters for cakes because I can cut as little as 1/2" lettersicon_smile.gif. I use fondant/gumpaste mix and roll it very, very thin for graphics, etc. I have SCAL2 from before and as long as I don't update my cricut expression firmware, I will be able to continue to make and cut my own designs and letters. The letters for the Happy Birthday, Tara cake in my photos were cut using SCAL2, as well as several sporting logos on several cakes.

cakespender Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 4:04am
post #8 of 19

Thanks guys, Hubby took me out today and we got it! I read a lot of reviews last night online and found that a lot of the negative ones were from women who had bought it because they bought into the hype of being able to make professional cakes as easy as 123. Sadly they had little knowledge of how to use fondant or gum paste.
It was such a great price I think for easy things it will be perfect, plus it has quite alot of bird type images and my business name has birds in it so that is a great plus. I do find that some of the images I have seen looked a tad bit sloppy but I think if I practice enough i can find a way to avoid that.

cakespender Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 19

Leah, I LOVE your work and would like to know what your experience is with the Cricut Cake. Why does it not work for you?

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 19

I have one. Paid 49.00 back in November when they were MAJORLY marked down. Glad I did. Love it! There is a learning curve but once you get it, its a very valuable addition to cake decorating, IMO.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 19

I saw a cricut cake demonstration at a cake group. Would be awesome to have just to do the lettering and some designs with. Too bad the ones I`ve seen are in the 200.00-$400.00 range.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 19

Learning curve was too steep for me. If I can't master something is a few hours I'm done with it. I could never get it to cut fondant or gumpaste.

Frankly ditto the cake pop roller. I can't get that thing to work either. Tried again yesterday since I need 500 or so pops this week.

Me = not particularly patient.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 19

I got one for Christmas and love it! I've only used it once but it was so easy to use and saved me a lot of trouble on that particular cake. I'll be looking to add to my cartridge collection in the future as I also recently purchase the Cricut Design Studio software which allows you to combine items from different cartridges.

sandyjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyjoy Posted 2 May 2012 , 1:06am
post #14 of 19

i purchased one when they were $49 also was so excited to use it i have quite a bit of difficulty with it but i have been using MMF as i don't like the taste of regular fondant. I found you have to roll it really thin i added some tylose powder to the fondant as well and i put it in the freezer before i cut with it. i also found it better to not cut a whole lot at once cut one or two images then refreeze and continue. In my gallery i did the "C's" on my coach cake and the spiderwebs, buildings and spider on my sons birthday cake. More practice and i am sure it will get better.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 2 May 2012 , 1:34am
post #15 of 19

I was lucky and got one too for $60.00 online on Thanksgiving day. Days after thanksgiving did the bad rush and got 12 cartridges . Havent used alot , at First I didnt like it but could be I too am impatient, I would freeze it for 10-15 minutes. and the edges were too messy for me. and it tore on the little cuts,
I forgot about one in the freezer was doing other things and when I finally got to do my cut... PERFECT. It was in the freezer for about 30-45 min. big big difference , and much better cut just too bad the time in freezer, I would have roll several out and in the freezer flata to do a full cake with designs . What I LOVE is that I can have the LARGE star when I didnt have that size cookie cutter, but honestly think pulling everything out is a PAIN

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 2 May 2012 , 8:20am
post #16 of 19

I just got one two weeks ago at Big Lots for $100 .
Yes I wish you could still get sure cuts a lot .

If you buy the silhouette it is computer compatible but over $300 , I think it would be a better machine for those with a business.
I haven't really used anything on a cake but I have cut a few things with success just playing with it ,

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 20 May 2012 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 19

I had a hard time with my Cricut until I found all of the discussion on CC, thank you to those who contributed their expertise!

Does anyone know if the regular Cricut cartridges fit the Cricut Cake?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:08am
post #18 of 19

Yes, the regular cartridges fit the Cricut Cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:45am
post #19 of 19

I have one and hate it too. I'm OCD and was determined to get it to work, and I just couldn't. I bought it to help speed production, and inevitably whenever I was in a hurry and just needed it to WORK, I would have problems. I don't think I've plugged the stupid thing in in well over 6 months.

I didn't even know they still sold them - I though they tanked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%