Fondant

Decorating By caleyb Updated 28 Apr 2012 , 6:03pm by letsgetcaking

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 3:34am
post #1 of 26

As we all know, fondant normally is not very tasty. What brand of fondant do you find is the tastiest???

25 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 3:38am
post #2 of 26

homemade MMF - it's cheaper, easy to make, and super delicious!

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 26

I agree with Debbye27, MMF is definately the best. I have used it for years and my customers love it. I get a lot of people that order cakes and will request to not have fondant because they have only had the store bought kind and they dont like it. I tell them mine is homemade and it taste like a really sweet marshmallow and they will agree to go with it almost every time, and I've gotten several comments about how much better it is than anything they have had before. Not to mention it is way cheaper!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 26

I've been wondering about this, too. I've only used homemade fondant so far. It seems to work okay, but I can't compare it with anything else. It is also really time consuming. Are there any store bought brands you prefer?

rgraboski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgraboski Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 26

Hi -
I use Carma - - but it is ridiculously expensive tho the taste is wonderful. I think you can get it online although I got it from my wholesaler.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 26

Michelle Fosters Updated Fondant recipe can be found here on cake central. It's awesome! Tastes great and is easy to make! No marshmallows required!

Several variations can be found in her book, The Sugar Fix.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 26

I used to make MMF all the time. I liked the taste, but sometimes got in-consistent results from batch to batch - how firm, stretchiness, etc. I switched to MFF 18 months ago and love it! Totally made from scratch, including yummy ingredients like heavy cream and butter. It tastes the best of all the purchased and/or homemade fondants that I've tried - WAY better. And I get very consistent results batch-to-batch. I whip up two batches at a time, sometimes three. (In sequence, not doubling or triping the batch.... that would kill my mixer!)

leasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leasey Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

I used to make MMF all the time. I liked the taste, but sometimes got in-consistent results from batch to batch - how firm, stretchiness, etc. I switched to MFF 18 months ago and love it! Totally made from scratch, including yummy ingredients like heavy cream and butter. It tastes the best of all the purchased and/or homemade fondants that I've tried - WAY better. And I get very consistent results batch-to-batch. I whip up two batches at a time, sometimes three. (In sequence, not doubling or triping the batch.... that would kill my mixer!)

Im wondering what MFF stands for? Ive never heard of it?

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasey

Quote:

Marshmallow fondant. icon_smile.gif

unctoothlady Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcakes

Quote:

Quote:

MMF=marshmallow fondant

MFF=Michelle Fosters Fondant

Fosters fondant is soooo much better than marshmallow fondant. Less messy to make, less sweet and feels like the Fondx brand that I used to make. Far superior in my opinion.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 26

With regards to Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe, there are two updated versions, one from March 2009, one from April 2009. The recipes are slightly different. Can anyone tell me the correct one or which one is easier to use? One calls for 2 tbs of glycerine, the other, 3.
Thanks!!

unctoothlady Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 26

Use the one that calls for 3 T. Works best in my opinion.

norgenata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norgenata Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 26

I also have a question about Michelle Foster's Fondant: what kind of measurements are used there: 1 cup of milk - how many dl. or grams is it? one pack of gelatin - how many grams? Will appreciate a lot if someone helps me. I can't figure our the correct proportions myself.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 26

Norgenata you can google conversion calculators for any form of measurement you need....here's one I've used
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 26

Satin ice is super delicious, wilton on the other hand is not. Satin ice melts in your mouth.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:35am
post #16 of 26

Duff's fondant is actually not bad tasting. The first time I ever worked with fondant, I used that brand. Then I started making my own MMF and love it! I sometimes get inconsistent results as well, so I might try MFF.
I used Fondx once because I needed black and can never get my fondant proper black. I hated it...had a hard time working with it (though I'm still a novice, so I'm sure professionals have no issues with it) and thought the taste was disgusting!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:42am
post #17 of 26

We used to make our own, either MMF or MFF, and while we like them, we switched to Fondarific when we opened our storefront because we just don't have time to make all the fondant we need. We love Fondarific! It's tastes amazing, easy to work and color, and it's really not bad price wise. You can get wholesale prices on it if you have an FEIN.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:56am
post #18 of 26

I like Carma fondant the best. It is worth every extra dollar I pay for it.

cakefixation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefixation Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:14am
post #19 of 26

I like Satin Ice too. It's so easy to work with!

norgenata Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:33am
post #20 of 26

ladij153, Thanks you very very much! Didn't know it's possible to calculate even "cup" icon_redface.gif The only thing left: a pack gelatin - how many grams is in it (as it is very impotent not to use too much or to little of it, isn't it..)?

ladij153 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:44am
post #21 of 26

how many ounces are in a pkg of gelatin? convert ounces to grams....or vice versa? May need to take the ounces in the whole box of gelatin and divide by number of packets in the box if you're using the unflavored kind like KNOX brand.

ladij153 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:45am
post #22 of 26

I love the new buttercream flavor Satin Ice....

norgenata Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:57am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

how many ounces are in a pkg of gelatin? convert ounces to grams....or vice versa? May need to take the ounces in the whole box of gelatin and divide by number of packets in the box if you're using the unflavored kind like KNOX brand.

I live in Norway and use our local brand. Our pack has 12 grams. I was wondering about the weight of gelatin pack in Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe and what kind og brand she is using. But now I can search on KNOX brand that you have mensioned icon_redface.gif Than you,ladij153 for you help!

leasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leasey Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:10am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctoothlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcakes

Quote:

Quote:

MMF=marshmallow fondant

MFF=Michelle Fosters Fondant

Fosters fondant is soooo much better than marshmallow fondant. Less messy to make, less sweet and feels like the Fondx brand that I used to make. Far superior in my opinion.

Thanks! Have to look into it!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:30am
post #25 of 26

I started out making my own fondant...MMF then MFF, but honestly agree that I just don't have enough time to make my own fondant (not to mention the fact that I too had inconsistent results with both fondants).
I also use Fondariffic. I think it tastes good, and works well. They now offer Almond flavor which is fantastic.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 6:03pm
post #26 of 26

Wow! Thank you to everyone for sharing the recipes you like and your favorite brands of fondant. I'm going to check them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%