Modelling Paste

Decorating By Dejah84 Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 12:52pm by sweetflowers

Dejah84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejah84 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:30am
post #1 of 3

My book says I need 1 and 1/4 pounds of modeling paste, now is this the same as gum paste? I read somewhere that it is fondant mixed with tylose powder, if so how much powder would you have to add to 1 and 1/4 pounds of fondant to get that much modeling paste. Im making a cake for a friend for her birthday next month and this is the first time I've tried to make a figure like this. Thanks I really need the advice.

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 3

It's probably the same thing as gumpaste, but people use different terms in dfferent countries, so I don't know. If you're modellling figures gumpaste will work. To make a quick gumpaste you can add 2 tsp tylose to 1 pound of homemade fondant, or 1 1/2 tsp to 1 pound of store-bought fondant.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 3

Although it can differ between countries, modeling paste is usually considered a 50/50 mix. Half gumpaste and half fondant. Adding tylose to fondant will do the trick, I probably add less than that, but everyone does it differently. I just wanted to say not to expect much of a 'feel' difference when adding the tylose, it usually takes time to notice a difference. Some people will keep adding tylose and then all of a sudden their fondant is like a rock icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%