Okay, Who Would Spend $$$ On Year Old Wedding Cake???

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 9:12am by Jennifer353

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:16am
post #1 of 16

Yep, you heard me -- some fool out there is spending BIG bucks on year-old "royal" wedding cake. I kid you NOT!! Check this out: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/piece-royal-cake-could-set-back-thousands-175857852.html

(FYI -- my opinion -- YUCK with a capital Y!!) icon_wink.gif

15 replies
rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:01am
post #2 of 16

They celebrate with fruit cake most of the time. Depending on who made it, it may actually be good.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 8:05am
post #3 of 16

12 months old would be a 'baby' for a fruitcake.

Check out this article for a cake that was recently tested and found to be still moist AND edible ......... made in 1898 !!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356557/Worlds-oldest-wedding-cake-1898-survived-WW2-bomb-blast.html

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 11:42am
post #4 of 16

Fruitcake is a whole different ballgame. I think a lot of our UK friends actually save a tier of the wedding cake and then use it again for their baby's christening. I have heard that before but not sure how common that is.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 16

Properly stored, year old rich fruit cake will be absolutely gorgeous.

I made the fruit cake for my dad's wedding about 3 months before the big day - and we were eating it for months afterwards.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 16

Not to highjack this post, but Relznik, would you mind sharing your recipe for your fruit cake. I would really like to try it. I've heard it can be really bad or it can be the best cake you've ever eaten...depending upon who makes it. I've never had it. If you don't mind, you could send me your recipe at [email protected]. Or if anyone else has a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing. Usually, I would just check out the ingredients when choosing a recipe, but I don't even know what would be good ingredients to look for when it comes to fruit cake. LOL.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 16

I'll have to look, but I don't recall the royal wedding being a fruitcake. Can you imagine year old WASC? icon_eek.gif

Relznik Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'll have to look, but I don't recall the royal wedding being a fruitcake. Can you imagine year old WASC? icon_eek.gif

Yes, it was.

And there was also a (completely separate) chocolate biscuit cake, which Prince William specifically requested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381944/Royal-Wedding-cake-Kate-Middleton-requested-8-tiers-decorated-900-flowers.html

About half way down, a little above the photo of the chocolate cake, it says "The cakemaker would not reveal all the ingredients she used but said the cake contained a range of produce from dried fruits such as raisins and sultanas to walnuts, cherries, grated oranges and lemon, French brandy and free-range eggs and flour.
icon_biggrin.gif

ickworthpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ickworthpark Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 16

Yes, traditionally English/Irish wedding cakes were rich fruit cakes and could be eaten years after baking. Normally a rich fruit cake would be made at least one month in advance of the date it was needed and would be 'fed' with alcohol (brandy, whiskey etc) weekly before icing. The dried fruits (currants, raising, sultanas) would also be soaked in alcohol before being used in the cake. I wouldn't use nuts tho if you wanted to keep it for a long time!

The cake would be covered in marzipan and then iced with Royal Icing so it would be completely sealed.

It was traditional for a tier of the wedding cake to be kept and used as the christening cake for the first child. It would be re-iced tho!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:37am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

save a tier of the wedding cake and then use it again for their baby's christening

It used to be common ... babies arrived 9 months after the wedding ... With or without the arrival of a baby, saving the top of an American cake for their 1st wedding anniversary has it's roots in the same tradition.

Properly stored, traditionally made, alcohol-doused fruitcake will store fore up to 3 years - 12 months is reasonable.

As for a recipe: Rich Tamarind Fruit Cake by Fiona Cairns [Prince William's cakemaker]

http://abcnews.go.com/International/Royal_Wedding/royal-wedding-cake-recipe-pastry-chef-fiona-cairns/story?id=13459548

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:59am
post #11 of 16

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine ate Mr. Peterman's $29,000 piece of cake from the wedding of King Edward?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine ate Mr. Peterman's $29,000 piece of cake from the wedding of King Edward?

thumbs_up.gif There's a Seinfeld episode for almost every occasion! And if there isn't a Seinfeld, there's usually a Friends icon_lol.gif.

Merry2go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry2go Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 3:27am
post #13 of 16

My husband and I kept the top layer of our wedding cake as tradition dictates. But we ended up not keeping it for a year. We had it 1 month later. We stored it in the freezer. So much for tradition!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 7:43am
post #14 of 16

Ok so keeping a whole tier shouldnt be a problem, cos the icing keeps it fresh, but a slice?? Wouldnt the open parts cause it to go stale? Or is it only sliced when its ready to go?

Relznik Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 7:51am
post #15 of 16

You would only slice the cake when you're ready to serve it.

However, it's all academic... you don't spend that sort of money on a slice of cake to EAT it! LOL! Because it's the cake of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, it's the sort of thing that would be kept. icon_biggrin.gif

During the run-up to the wedding, a tv programme here showed a slice of cake from Queen Victoria's wedding cake!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 9:12am
post #16 of 16

Agreeing here with everyone else who says it will be fine since its fruit cake!

My sister got married a few years ago and most tiers of her cake were fruit. She gave me some to take home, I ate most of it but for some reason when I had about a 2inch slice left I forgot about it and it sat in an airtight tin (wrapped in greasproof paper and tinfoil) When I found it, it was over a year after the wedding and Mammy would have made it about 3 months before then, so it was coming up to 18 months old. I ate some of it and it was perfect, really moist and tasty.

Not saying that if I bought a piece of the royal wedding cake I would actually eat it at that price though!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%