How Do I Make This String?

Decorating By karukaru Updated 22 Apr 2012 , 6:33pm by karukaru

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, can anyone tell me how to do the fucsia string around the top of the cupcake? I don't have an extruder and I know I can do it by hand but it won't be even. Thanks!
LL

12 replies
sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Kura,
Before I got an extruder, I used a large cake board or cake pan to lightly roll over the fondant piece. It will get longer and longer so you will need a long space. The pan is easier to hold on to but it is heavier to hold for a long period of time. First roll a piece of fondant between your hands and then lay on floured table and continue rolling with the board or pan LIGHTLY over the piece until desired length. May take a couple of tries but it works.HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 13

With your hands roll your fondant into a smooth ball, then put the ball down on your work surface and use a fondant smoother to roll it...you'll get a perfectly even snake...keep rolling and it'll get thinner and thinner.

(Parchment paper works great for this)

karukaru Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:35am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

With your hands roll your fondant into a smooth ball, then put the ball down on your work surface and use a fondant smoother to roll it...you'll get a perfectly even snake...keep rolling and it'll get thinner and thinner.

(Parchment paper works great for this)

WOw! who knew! thanks!

karukaru Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:37am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkake

Hi Kura,
Before I got an extruder, I used a large cake board or cake pan to lightly roll over the fondant piece. It will get longer and longer so you will need a long space. The pan is easier to hold on to but it is heavier to hold for a long period of time. First roll a piece of fondant between your hands and then lay on floured table and continue rolling with the board or pan LIGHTLY over the piece until desired length. May take a couple of tries but it works.HTH

Hi Kura! Thanks for the suggestion but I am a little confused. Is that how you make a round snake or a flat snake? How do you roll one with a cake pan? Thanks

FlourPots Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:57am
post #6 of 13

Oh no problem...

I should add that it'll be easier to replicate the swirls above if you do it in pieces vs. one long gigantic snake that goes all the way around...

When you make a new "join" because your snake is running out, do it right at the bottom of a loop, underneath where the top snake overlaps...it'll appear as if there aren't any breaks...it'll look seamless.

I hope this makes sense...I wish I could draw an arrow right at the spot I'm talking about LOL!

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:17am
post #7 of 13

Hi flourpots, you work is so wonderful! You mentioned on your flicker pics that you use MMF on your cakes, would you share your recipe with us? Thank you so much.

karukaru Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:33am
post #8 of 13
Quote:

Oh no problem...

I should add that it'll be easier to replicate the swirls above if you do it in pieces vs. one long gigantic snake that goes all the way around...

When you make a new "join" because your snake is running out, do it right at the bottom of a loop, underneath where the top snake overlaps...it'll appear as if there aren't any breaks...it'll look seamless.

I hope this makes sense...I wish I could draw an arrow right at the spot I'm talking about LOL!

Yes, it totally makes sense icon_smile.gif
I am so tired I can't function! LOL I am crumbcoating the cakes now (I am not using the giant cupcake pan because the cake needs to feed 30 people) and I still have to cover them in fondant and decorate. I hope I will be done before midnight! I had a baking disaster and that threw me off schedule (Well, that and my 3 year old and 18 month old LOL.) Thanks so much!

FlourPots Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:43am
post #9 of 13

Oh no LOL...well good luck with everything...I hope the rest of it goes smoothly!

karukaru Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:15am
post #10 of 13
Quote:

Oh no LOL...well good luck with everything...I hope the rest of it goes smoothly!

Me too! LOL. Thanks!

FlourPots Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:15am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1976

Hi flourpots, you work is so wonderful! You mentioned on your flicker pics that you use MMF on your cakes, would you share your recipe with us? Thank you so much.

Thank you...
This post almost got by me, sorry!

I actually have posted the recipe and also some tips as far as how I model with it...you can find it by scrolling down: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-699027-90.html

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the suggestion but I am a little confused. Is that how you make a round snake or a flat snake? How do you roll one with a cake pan? Thanks[/quote]
Sorry I'm not explaining well. Holding cake pan with both hands, roll LIGHTLY, touching very SOFTLY back and forth over the fondant. A cake board does just as well and yes either way the piece is rounded like a snake.

karukaru Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 13

Oh ok sweetkake thanks! now I understand! hehehe. I am going to trying next time. I ended up doing it by hand and I tried to do it all in one piece but it kept on sliding of the cake (and the ends were drying out) so I just ended up doing it piece by piece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%