Cake Stand Help(Color)

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 21 Apr 2012 , 10:55am by DeniseNH

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 11

I need to do a wedding cake, 3 tiers, but the bride stated the bridesmaids are wearing an antique green dress with gold accessories, BUT the bride herself is wearing ivory with silver accessories..so the cake is going to be all ivory colored ONLY (her topper is green), so I'm not sure what to do for stand as far as color goes...Silver? Gold? BOTH(if you know where to buy both, let me know), OR??? I need help on which to use or if any other color that would work? Thanks!

Jenscreativity

10 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:14am
post #3 of 11

Just my 2 cents but no one will care what color the bridesmaids jewelry is in relation to the cake stand. I don't even think any one will notice how the cake stand compares to the brides jewelry either. If the bride doesn't have a preference, just go with which ever color will be more useful to you for future cakes. It seems to me that I see more pics on silver stands than gold stands but generally I am looking at the cake more than the stand.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:16am
post #4 of 11

Shanter, I just went back and looked at your links. I have the third one, got it from my mom. It always sits on my counter with whatever baked goodies I have for my husband after I got tired of him forgetting about baked goods in a non-see through container.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:46am
post #5 of 11

Jen, you may want to make your own stand.

Here's the link to WanderingChopsticks tutorial:
http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-homemade-cake-stand.html

I'm the least "craft-y" person on the planet, and I can make them. Here's my thread about the process:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=161628&STARTPAGE=1&CFID=65825596&CFTOKEN=20060028

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:11am
post #6 of 11

Apti, I like your idea, so I should go with crystal clear then? What type of glass should I use for sturdyness of a 3 tiered cake being 10,8,6 " ? I need to make sure it holds well on this.

Also, I like the green stand posted on here by the first reply from Shanter a lot but I'm not sure what exact color her green is, so maybe I"ll check with her on that too! It's beautiful!

Thanks to all for replies and love them to keep on coming!

Jenscreativity

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:40am
post #7 of 11

Jen~~You'd probably be better served by just purchasing an inexpensive Anchor Hocking Cake Stand.

Do a Google search for: Anchor Hocking cake stand

and you'll come up with a lot of images.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

I have made my own cake stands and usually find the "parts" in thrift stores (or my basement): glass platters, candlesticks, footed sherbet glasses, upside down sugar bowls, etc. I used four clear glass sherbet glasses with a 16" platter and it was very sturdy.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:00am
post #9 of 11

I would make my own, and paint it silver. icon_smile.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 6:40am
post #10 of 11

if you are looking for a sturdy stand that can definitely withstand the weight of a large wedding cake--plus have a versatile and timeless style to boot, i can't say enough good things about Sarah's Stands. I have the 14" Vintage White which is a perfect match for buttercream. It is the stand that my larger wedding cakes are on in the photos in my gallery.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:55am
post #11 of 11

I would go to a craft store and purchase a panel of hard craft foam - cut out a 12" circle or two to equal a height of 3", place that on the table then drape a 3/4 yard piece of ivory satin fabric over it then layer with a yard of green tulle, bunch both up around the base of the table and pin into place (to the tablecloth) if necessary, That gives you whatever green color she wants (once you talk to her) and the whole unit is disposable. Also sturdier than a glass pedestal cake plate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%