Wedding Cake (Almost) Disaster.

Decorating By karateka Updated 22 Apr 2012 , 4:54pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 17

I need a large drink.

Yesterday I created a 3 tier square wedding cake with hand painting on it. It was inspired by Bayshore Cakes at the bride's request. I toiled long and hard getting the corners straight, and getting the fondant on. It was finished, I was pleased, went to bed.

Woke up, worked on another cake all morning long, finally took a break to start getting ready for delivery and I see that the whole side of the bottom tier has bowed out! I poke with a pin and tap the fondant down, but it won't go. It has stretched out and dried that way, and now it is folding and cracking.

I use my smoother to straighten it out by pressing downward toward the board, with creates excess fondant at the bottom. I use my exacto to cut it off and try to fix the cracks with royal icing.

I can't get it smooth for lovin' or money! I have to deliver at 4:30, and it is 3pm. I decide I have 2 choices: refund her money for a crappy looking cake, or fix it. So I take a deep breath and slice off the fondant from the bottom tier, re-ice it, and stick the whole thing in the freezer for 10 minutes while I roll out fondant. Then I wrap it around the cake, cut it to fit the naked area, and smooth some RI at the joins (bride was adamantly against a bottom border, so I had NO options here. I did finally decide that I absolutely had to have something around the bottom, so I put a very thin ribbon around the base.

I then had to repaint the design and since I had no time to cut out the message again, just hand painted it on there. I rushed to the venue and hand painted the silver part of the design while there! Then the food and bevereage manager tells me that the table won't be staying there! I express my dismay and he does his best to calm me down, but there is literally NOTHING I can do about it, as they are short on space and have to re-arrange everything once the ceremony is over, so the cake table MUST move. I set it up, took pictures, had the wedding planner sign, and I boogied. She said it was pretty, so I guess it turned out ok. But I've still got 2 other cakes to finish and my hands are shaking!!!
LL

16 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 17

Beautiful cake !

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 17

Oh honey, you need more than a drink!! You need a drink, a massage, a mani/pedi, and a raise!!

karateka Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 17

Ah, Mel! A woman after my own heart!

Thank you, Cakery!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:00am
post #5 of 17

Wow you need a couple of drinks! But the cake looks wonderful

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:39am
post #6 of 17

If only we lived close to each other.

All the best.

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:22am
post #7 of 17

You did an awesome job! What a beautiful cake--no one would ever believe there was a thing that didn't go as planned. Go and have that drink!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:57am
post #8 of 17

I would never know there has been a problem - and that's exactly what you want! Kudos on a beautiful cake and enjoy your drink!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 9:54am
post #9 of 17

Any ideas what caused the fondant problem? This has happened to me before and its always an awful sinking feeling you get when you're trying to work out what you're going to do about it.

The cake ended up looking beautiful - well done and good save!

karateka Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:57am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Any ideas what caused the fondant problem? This has happened to me before and its always an awful sinking feeling you get when you're trying to work out what you're going to do about it.

The cake ended up looking beautiful - well done and good save!

I have no clue! I had frozen the cake for about 20 min while I rolled out fondant and covered the top 2 tiers, but it wasn't frozen through.... I wish I knew. I've done this plenty of times before with no issues at all!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 11:25am
post #11 of 17

Yeah, I know. Its insane. I can't understand what causes it either. It seems to happen so randomly, and I can't put it down to any one thing!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 17

Excellent save! Looking at it, you wouldn't know there'd been a problem!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 17

I had this happen once when I was working on a charity cake. I thought I would lose my mind. I still don't know why it happened. I worked on this cake until 2:30 in the morning and woke up for work at 4:30 and the whole side had slid right down the cake. I had to be at work at 6:00. I'm glad there was no video camera on me that morning. I had to have been a sight. But, relax now, the cake looks fantastic.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 17

Wow, you did an amazing job with the repairs. I would have never guessed that there had been a problem. The cake looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story. I have recently started decorating cakes for my family & friends only and become discouraged sometimes when things don't go well. Yesterday was one of those days. Somehow it helps to know that someone who makes such great looking cakes sometimes have issue too.

karateka Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks, everyone!

I made it through my cake orders this weekend, so all is well. I had serious doubts there for a while. I have 2 pickups today, then the rest of the day off. I've earned it!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 17

I think this is where that big drink comes in babe!! Put those feet up and reeeeee-laaaaaxxxx! party.gif

karateka Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 17

If those ladies would come pick up their cakes I could do exactly that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%