Airbrush Colors

Decorating By mrsg1111 Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 6:38pm by mrsg1111

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 7

I apologize if this has already been asked but i didn't find an answer in my search. Can you use any color liquids in an airbrush or do you have to use specifically for airbrush?

6 replies
dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 7

You have to use specific airbrush colors for an airbrush machine. Americolor has a very large selection of colors.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 7

Before airbrush food coloring existed, we used any liquid food coloring sometimes watered down 50% and we never experienced clogs. (That includes the fact that the airbrushes were never properly cleaned!)

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

You can use 'grocery store' food coloring or 'airbrush colors'......doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you CLEAN your airbrush after every use! It makes no difference to the airbrush which one you use....the advantage to the airbrush colors is the color choices....generally with the less expensive generic ones [ I get them in quart bottles at Smart and Final] you are limited to the primary colors which is fine as you can mix your colors to make ANY color ! The only drawback is having to get an exact match when you refill your airbrush....how many drops of each color!....that is the ADVANTAGE to the airbrush colors....you have a great number of color choices and it is always an exact match. And of course, you can also get the fancy metalic colors...I love the copper, silver and gold! So my collection of colors has both.....cheap generic primary and sometimes expensive 'designer' colors! But then a a little goes a long way....

mrsg1111 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for your advice! I will try it this way. I just placed an order for airbrush colors but in the event that I don't receive in time i will certainly try it this way.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 7

As mentioned, you can use liquid cake decorating colors in an airbrush.

The airbrush doesn't care what's sprayed through it so long as the particle size is small enough to pass through the fluid nozzle.

That being said, as noted above, there are limitations.
1) A good airbrush formula is designed with flow enhancers that promote the best spray possible. This is why DIY mixing with gels or off-the-shelf liquid food colors don't always perform the same as something designed for the airbrush from the beginning.

2) Pigment colors - FDA food colors have several blues and reds. You're not going to get the near the same color range from mixing store colors.

That being said, I prefer "thinner" colors to "thicker" colors for airbrushing edible art. Thinner "dye" based colors offer a lot more control and versatility for my style of airbrushing.

mrsg1111 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you! That was very informative!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%