Who Makes Your Birthday Cake?

Decorating By ChristineCMC Updated 22 Apr 2012 , 9:42pm by giraffe11

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:13am
post #1 of 34

My birthday was yesterday. I bought a cheesecake for it, but will actually be making my cake for tomorrow night. Many of my friends say, "I hope you don't have to make your own cake." Now, I don't mind because I love to do it and I really couldn't see paying someone to do something that I could do. If I had a baking buddy that would be different, but not of my friends like to bake.

This got me thinking.... Am I the only one who bakes and decorates her own cake?

33 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:19am
post #2 of 34

Happy Birthday ChristineCMC! What kind of a cake will you bake for your birthday?

T_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T_Cakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:35am
post #3 of 34

I make my own birthday cake, too. However, I focus mainly on the flavor and don't bother with an elaborate design. This year, I replicated my favorite Starbucks drink and made myself a salted caramel mocha cake. I covered the whole thing in dark chocolate ganache and covered the sides with toasted almonds...yummmm!

T_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T_Cakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:36am
post #4 of 34

I make my own birthday cake, too. However, I focus mainly on the flavor and don't bother with an elaborate design. This year, I replicated my favorite Starbucks drink and made myself a salted caramel mocha cake. I covered the whole thing in dark chocolate ganache and covered the sides with toasted almonds...yummmm!

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:57am
post #5 of 34

I made myself a birthday pie. Almond meringue!!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 34

I ALWAYS make my own cake. I have a party/dinner every year and that's always the hilight for all of my friends to see my newest creation! icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 34

I made my own this year but only because I wanted to try a new recipe. My favorite birthday cake is one I don't make, LOL. Especially if it's from Costco. Flame away. icon_razz.gif

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 34

Happy Birthday! I make my own cake too. My husband was like you shouldn't make your own cake. However, he was the only one, because when I gave my mom money to pick up a Costco cake, her response was why? icon_lol.gif It had been years since my last taste of one and so we tried it a few days before my birthday and I got to try out a bouquet cake I have been thinking about. I also experimented with a white chocolate cheesecake mousse. icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 34

My daughter or my husband usually make mine. If DD makes it, its decorated. If DH makes it, it is generally a cheesecake, and not decorated at all.

The whole point is that they take the time and put in the effort to do something nice for me, so I love it no matter what they do.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 34

Mom used to make mine but then when I got old enough, we stopped with the making cakes and started buying them (chocolate mousse cake FTW) and now recently I make my own birthday cake lol

mjsirhunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsirhunter Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 34

Happy Birthday to you ChristineCMC! I usually dont have a cake or anything of the sort for my birthday. If I did I would be the one to make it- hence why I never have one-LOL. Im usually so busy with everyone and everything else that time to make a cake for myself never fits ins. All well- I eat the cakes I make for the rest of my family- mom, dad, sister, niece, 3 kids, husband, etc....maybe one day one of my kids will make me one icon_smile.gif

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 34

My husband and son made my cake last year. It was actuallty pretty good. He even took the time to cover it in fondant and cut out the letters to spell Happy Birthday Mommy. I guess they watch me decorate a lot more than I thought they did. icon_lol.gif

Happy Birthday ChristimeCMC!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 34

I made my own for my 40th (in 2010):

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1707390/40th-birthday-cake-with-butterfly

My two sons and husband also made me one a few years ago (although I baked it, but they did all the decorating!)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 34

No oneicon_sad.gif I'm alone so no reason to bake one myself even.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 34

Happy b'day.
I usually make a combo cake (my b'day is around mother's day) and share it with my neighbors. Last year my son's girlfriend bought me a chocolate cake (my favorite) and I almost ate the whole thing.

This year my b'day is the day after mother's day and I'm going to bake a dual layer (my first) with MOM on the top layer and happy b'day to me on the bottom layer. I've only been decorating less than a year (my first class was last june) and am going to stretch myself for this one. It'll be bc, I'm not that comfortable with fondant yet but by next year will be.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 34

Happy b'day.
I usually make a combo cake (my b'day is around mother's day) and share it with my neighbors. Last year my son's girlfriend bought me a chocolate cake (my favorite) and I almost ate the whole thing.

This year my b'day is the day after mother's day and I'm going to bake a dual layer (my first) with MOM on the top layer and happy b'day to me on the bottom layer. I've only been decorating less than a year (my first class was last june) and am going to stretch myself for this one. It'll be bc, I'm not that comfortable with fondant yet but by next year will be.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:49pm
post #17 of 34

I usually make my own. I tend to use it for trying out a design I really want to do. My mom would make it if I let her lol.

Last year my 9 year old nephew made me a cake. It was the best one ever icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:09pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

No oneicon_sad.gif I'm alone so no reason to bake one myself even.

When's your bday? I'm gonna organize a bday cake for you!!!!

You deserve one!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 34

I baked my own, last year (spice, from the Duncan Hines mix, nothing unusual, with a maple cold-process buttercream frosting [based on the recipe that's been on the back of the powdered sugar box since before I was born])

cake by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr

The overall frosting pattern is one that's been traditional in my family.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:26pm
post #20 of 34

Happy Birthday!
I usually bake my own and try out something(s) i've been wanting to try!
But the last few years my daughter, she's 10, has a sleep over @ my moms and they make me one to.
I've had a doll, a ladybug and a sunhat ( all in my photos) and she has done an awesome job!
Even my family gets multiple cakes depending on what day of the week their birthday falls, and how much time I have! ...one on the day, one when family comes and usually a kids party one!

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:47pm
post #21 of 34

Glad to know that I'm not the only one! I made a cake that I have wanted to try for a long time - chocolate Kahlua cake with praline cream filling. Although, I will admit that only half the cake is like that. The other half, I left filled with buttercream. I'm going to cover it with ganache which I've always wanted to try too. I'm going to decorate it in a black and white theme. I haven't done that yet as the cake is for tomorrow night.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 12:45am
post #22 of 34

I've made my own the past 2 years. I made whatever my current favorite flavor combination was and tried a design that's been on my mind. I had a lot of fun with them and will probably continue to make myself a birthday cake icon_smile.gif.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2135047/frills-on-black (I wish I had a better picture of this one)

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1974211/my-own-birthday-cake

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 1:22am
post #23 of 34

Happy birthday ChristineCMC!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 34

Happy Birthday ChristineCMC!!

I always make my own cakes for my birthday. I wouldn't have it any other way thumbs_up.gif I would normally make flavors I always wanted to try or those that I absolutely love.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:49pm
post #25 of 34

Funny enough my husband and I both share the same birthday. since I don't make my own cake, I have never made him one either. I just realized that. Anyway, usually ice cream cake is how we do it! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 4:53pm
post #26 of 34

karateka wrote: When's your bday? I'm gonna organize a bday cake for you!!!! ..........

Awwww thanksicon_smile.gif Actually I'd enjoy a cupcake with lots and lots of dark choco ice cream!
And the date is late in the yr.

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:47pm
post #27 of 34

My sister icon_smile.gif. She is a baker/partner too. I don't want her experimenting on me though, I want my cake just like a client cake. I am special that way... icon_lol.gif

I fill out an order form and everything!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:58pm
post #28 of 34

I make my own birthday key lime pie! icon_smile.gif
I get so sick of cakes that by the time my b-day rolls around, I want nothing to do with them. But I love key lime pie, so I make one for myself and try to out do the past years. Last year I made one with a chocolate layer between the crust and the pie filling. That one is going to be tough to beat!
Happy birthday and I hope you had fun making your cake!

mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:59pm
post #29 of 34

My boyfriend makes me my birthday cakes, he's not much into decorating so they're usually buttercream covered with something stuck on (the year before last it was dinosaurs! It was awesome!) I love that he takes the time to do it for me, especially when he much prefers savory to sweet cooking. I'm banned from the kitchen while he does it though, in case I try to backseat-bake icon_wink.gif

I don't think I'd be bothered to do one for myself though, haha. Half the time, by the time I'm done decorating a cake I've eated so many scraps/bits of icing that I don't want a slice!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:52pm
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cakes

IF I ahve a cake, yes, I make it. And I am with T_cakes in that I like to try a great flvaor for me and thanks for the inspiration! I am going to try and replicate this as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%