Freezing Sponge

Decorating By Cathrine123 Updated 20 Apr 2012 , 12:33pm by Cathrine123

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 8:42am
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

Just needing a little advice here, I am making my first wedding cake for the 3rd May, however I am wanting to make the sponge and fondant blossoms in advance, I am thinking of doing it this weekend...my question is if I was to make the sponge this weekend and freeze it will it be okay to thaw next weekend and decorate in time for the 3rd May? Or is it best to take it out maybe on the 30th April? I did read somewhere that there is a slight chance that freezing it would dry it out? icon_sad.gif If it was to dry out what advice do you have to moisten it back up again? For the fondant blossoms they will be okay in an airtight container already decorated? I am trying to keep myself calm and not get flustered that is why everything is getting done way in advance.

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Thankyou

Cat xx

2 replies
SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:01am
post #2 of 3

I have frozen sponge cake before and I take it out about 3 hours before I am ready to fill and crumb coat. If anything, I get rave reviews about the moistness of the cake. Now, I freeze my cakes even if it is just overnight.

All the best icon_smile.gif

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScakes

I have frozen sponge cake before and I take it out about 3 hours before I am ready to fill and crumb coat. If anything, I get rave reviews about the moistness of the cake. Now, I freeze my cakes even if it is just overnight.

All the best icon_smile.gif

Hi SScakes,

Thankyou so much for that, I think that is what I will do, it's put me at ease a bit knowning that it is okay. Tightly wrap it, freeze it take it out 3 hours before I need to crumb coat and put fondant on. icon_smile.gif I will post pictures once done icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%