Cake Disaster. Feel Like A Failure

Decorating By melissalovespandas Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm by kikiandkyle

melissalovespandas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissalovespandas Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 7:42am
post #1 of 73

so ihad this customer asking me for a jake and the neverland pirates cake / bubbleguppies and she hated my work. im a very soft person and couldn't help but cry. she was in a 150 dlls budget so i worked with that and she looked so dissapointed. it was my first unhappy customer icon_sad.gif but to me it was the best cake ive done. everything is mmf i made each character and it took me a week. I have a feelling that she wanted a free cake. :/ she said she wouldnt even pay 50 dlls for it . icon_sad.gif i dont want to make cakes anymore[/img]
LL

72 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 8:14am
post #2 of 73

Your cake looks GREAT !
Yes she must have wanted a free cake . I hope you have a non refundable deposit . $150 I would say was too cheap for your work on that cake to begin with . Im not pro though.
You didnt say but are you a home baker?
It just seems that some people "think "they can take advantage of a home based baker when they don't want to pay the price .
But then again Im sure the same people try to swindle people who have a regular business.
Dont feel bad I think its happened to just about everyone at some point.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:11am
post #3 of 73

There is so much detail on that cake you can see the time and effort you've put into it and I'm so sorry this miserable woman didn't appreciate it! Did she still take the cake away with her then? Did you get any money for it at all? Its so sad somebody would try and get something for free when somebody has spent their money and hours of their time making it for them. Don't let people like this get you down and continue to make cakes for people that appreciate them!

jalex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jalex Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:20am
post #4 of 73

I'm a newbie when it comes to making cakes and people don't realise how incredibly patient you need to be to decorate cakes. Don't let t his person put you off. They are not worth the worry. I feel sorry for her child that missed out on an awesome birthday cake .

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:35am
post #5 of 73

She's crazy and you did a great job.

usshanebond12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usshanebond12 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 73

Dont worry friend! Your cake really looks great. I could feel the effort you put to make this cake while seeing all work on it. She is such a worst woman who degraded you and of course it seems clearly that she is very stingy to spend some dollars for this valued and effort worthy cake. Dont let you down for this type of miserable womans comment. Truly your cake looks great and lovely. No one can change or disturb your values. Please do start making cakes again. Try new cake recipes and upload the pictures and soon you will be rewarded for your effort. Good Luck!

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 73

Some people just REALLY get on my nerves! This is very detailed. Your cake is GREAT! Don't stop. Don't STOP I say!!

Kristinarepullo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristinarepullo Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 73

I would have charged her more. That cake is BEAUTIFUL. I hope you didn't give her the cake for free. I'm sorry some people are jerks. Please don't give up.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 73

With all that detail, this is cake is worth every penny of the $150 if not more. She was looking for something for nothing. I would love to know what everyone else at the party had to say when they saw it. On second thought, I would have loved to hear what she said afterwards. I am sure if was something totally different from what she told you. Some people are just like that. Don't let it get you down.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 73

I probably would've replied to her....then why not make your own cake! It's terrible that she didn't like that cake!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 73

Ok, yes, the cake is nice, and it's evident you worked really hard on it. However, perhaps it isn't what she envisioned...perhaps she would have liked something less complicated. I can't say she should be at fault for her own likes/dislikes. But do not take it personally. Maybe the better answer would be to find out what she didn't like and see if you could have done a small change to make her happier (removing some characters, etc. something simple). If she took the cake and ate it, then she should pay for it. Did you have a contract written up? I think for the amount of people it served and type of decorations she got a deal. icon_smile.gif

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

Ok, yes, the cake is nice, and it's evident you worked really hard on it. However, perhaps it isn't what she envisioned...perhaps she would have liked something less complicated. I can't say she should be at fault for her own likes/dislikes. But do not take it personally. Maybe the better answer would be to find out what she didn't like and see if you could have done a small change to make her happier (removing some characters, etc. something simple). If she took the cake and ate it, then she should pay for it. Did you have a contract written up? I think for the amount of people it served and type of decorations she got a deal. icon_smile.gif

This ^

It does look a little busy, perhaps she was expecting something different. You did a nice job though.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forums icon_smile.gif

melissalovespandas Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 73

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply, I just feel awful icon_cry.gif I just recently got my license but I rent a kitchen since I can't afford a shop. I know it looks busy but she wanted all those details, she asked me to change the skin colors of the bubble guppies and not make them look ''dark''. I added the peter pan shadow , She didn't want no skulls she wanted an octopus instead, I added all the details she asked for when I asked her, her excuse was that the bubble guppies head wasn't big enough. When my husband asked her what she didn't like she said ''thats something you can discuss with her in your own time'' My sister got so upset that she told her ''if you want a cheap cake go to walmart'' lol. I know it didn't help but I tried so hard to please her, I kept sending her pictures of all my characters and she said she loved them. but when she saw the cake she said she was very uGH I still can't believe it, It was a kids birthday and she said it ''I know my son will love it but I don't'' lol icon_sad.gif now im left with a cake. I might donate it. :/

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 73

You cake is amazing. It remind me of Disney World, so much to see you can't take it in all at once.

Someone had buyers remorse. For $150.00, she made out like a bandit.

Kay

GildaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GildaM Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 73

YOU out did yourself with this cake. Its pathetic she did not see and appreciate ALL the detailed work you put into it. Keep making your beautiful cakes!!!

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 73

You did a great job on this cake and there are alot of details! Keep your head up and next time I would get a deposit up front. Oh, and don't quit....we all have a bad experience now and then. icon_smile.gif

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 3:20pm
post #17 of 73

She is plain crazy!!! The cake is gorgeous and you seriously underpriced it. I charged $160 for the Romero Britto cake in my profile (the yellow one with the flower) and it was a 12" round cake. I just started selling too. You need to take a look at your prices. Also, did you get a deposit? I hope you didn't give it back to her ( I'm assuming she didn't take it since you said you might donate it.) I think she just had buyers remorse.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 73

The first thing I would've said to her was No. That is a licensed character and you are not supposed to be selling them.

But you did make the cake and it's obvious you put a ton of work into it so I'm sorry your feelings got hurt.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:19pm
post #19 of 73

[quote="Kaybaby"]You cake is amazing. It remind me of Disney World, so much to see you can't take it in all at once.

That was my thought too. Well done, it's a beautiful cake that any kid would love. Shame on her.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:20pm
post #20 of 73

wow, that cake is awesome!! Im so sorry you had a crazy bad apple customer, it happens to the best of us. Please dont let her discourage you. That cake had so much detail I would have charged double what you did. Anytime you do a cake for someone you dont know, get the cake paid for upfront. This lady was obviously trying to take advantage of you, so sorry it took a week of your time. Keep on caking because we all love your talent!!

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm
post #21 of 73

So sorry! She even said that she knew her son would love it!? I think there's a lot of detail, and it's obivous that you spent a lot of hours on it. Some people are never pleased!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:53pm
post #22 of 73

I can relate to your feelings. I, too, take it personally if someone doesn't like something I've worked hard on, and I do cry. It makes me mad that I let people get to me like that, but my husband says it's just because I'm a tender-hearted person! I'll take that!!!

Anyway, I'm sorry this rude woman hurt your feelings. Try to consider that you got a lot of practice and experience making figures and such. Please don't let her ruin something you love to do. Hard to believe how mean spirited some people can be. Poor little birthday boy probably wound up with a flat cake from Walmart with a plastic character pick stuck in it.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:59pm
post #23 of 73

I forgot to add on last post, that personally I think this lady just did not have the cash to pay you.. I think she is lying

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 73

agree with everyone else... that lady didn't know how to back out of paying you the money... good you didn't let her have the cake.. she didn't deserve it... silly woman... x-(

heynannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heynannie Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:13pm
post #25 of 73

GREAT CAKIN!...wipe your eyes ....this makes you stronger, thats ok you poured yourself into every aspect of this cake,that is obvious. Let this experience push you forward,not stop you from creating and enjoying what you do...as my Mama used to say..."If you don't like my apples don't shake my tree! " love and peace
<333>< thanks for sharing

chrysicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysicake Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 73

Please, oh please don't give up!!!The cake is wonderful and I cannot even IMAGINE the time you put into it!! Don't let one spoiled B***H put you off of something that you obviously love to do!!!!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:20pm
post #27 of 73

Oh my gosh! I can't believe she wouldn't take the cake! That cake has an amazing amount of detail! You way undercharged her! Please oh please get the amount in full up front next time! Holy crap, the nerve of some people!

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 9:28pm
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalovespandas

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply, I just feel awful icon_cry.gif I just recently got my license but I rent a kitchen since I can't afford a shop. I know it looks busy but she wanted all those details, she asked me to change the skin colors of the bubble guppies and not make them look ''dark''. I added the peter pan shadow , She didn't want no skulls she wanted an octopus instead, I added all the details she asked for when I asked her, her excuse was that the bubble guppies head wasn't big enough. When my husband asked her what she didn't like she said ''thats something you can discuss with her in your own time'' My sister got so upset that she told her ''if you want a cheap cake go to walmart'' lol. I know it didn't help but I tried so hard to please her, I kept sending her pictures of all my characters and she said she loved them. but when she saw the cake she said she was very uGH I still can't believe it, It was a kids birthday and she said it ''I know my son will love it but I don't'' lol icon_sad.gif now im left with a cake. I might donate it. :/

Im so sorry this happened to you .What a Bee -octch she is .She just didnt want to
pay and was hoping to get it for less or free. I would eat it myself first. Dont give up.your dream. No matter what business or where you work there is always going to be someone trying to get something for nothing or cut you down.Her excuses were just that excuses to not pay ! She said her son would love it .This cake was not for her but her son .So obviously she had buyers remorse.

Just take it as lesson learned. I would have a non -refundable deposit policy of half at signing of a contract . Or a cake like this that took alot of work maybe paid in full Two weeks before . there are other threads with information and opinions on contracts. You didnt just make a cake you made a commisioned
custom work of art .This is your business and you have to treat it as such.
What I mean you are going to have to set rules for your business to protect you financially for people like this . So that you arent taking it so personally because you did a wonderful job .But protect yourself so you always get paid . Like I.said read some of the threads with comments from the pros on contracts. Hugs to you
and dont let one rude person spoil your dream . For that one bad client there will be a 100 more who adore your cake.
on spoil your dream.

melissalovespandas Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 10:32pm
post #29 of 73

Thanks ! I tried my best to do all the details she wanted. I added swords, eye patches and pirate hats to the bubble guppies, I even made captain hook even though she didn't asked me to do it icon_sad.gif Luckily someone else wants the cake so I'm just changing the name. It just felt like she wanted me to lower the price to like $30 . It really sucks, I couldn't even talk because I couldn't help but cry. I'm glad she didn't take the cake.

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 5:23am
post #30 of 73

Your cake was very nice hun. I'm glad you found someone else to buy it from you icon_smile.gif Don't give up you're very talented and someone will appreciate your art!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%