Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By pastrygirl08 Updated 21 Apr 2012 , 2:40am by pastrygirl08

pastrygirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl08 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering can I can I cover fondont or molding chocolate over swiss meringue buttercream

6 replies
princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you can. Cover the cake with the buttercream (getting your edges nice and straight), pop it into the fridge for 10 minutes or so until the buttercream is firm then cover with fondant. Have fun!
Cris.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7

Yup! I use SMBC on all of my cakes (mostly fondant covered)... just make sure the icing is firm... I think it's easier to cover a SMBC cake than when I used America Buttercream, the firm surface of the cold icing lets really apply pressure to smooth your fondant/ modeling chocolate!

JTCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JTCake Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 7

I made this icing for the first time this past weekend but it turned out really soft. Can somebody tell me what I might have done wrong?

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 7

If you are used to American buttercream, this is much softer by comparison. If you are sure your measurements were correct, it could have been that you didn't let the meringue cool enough before adding butter (the bowl should be cool to the touch)... usually it's salvageable... just let the mixture cool a bit and remix. Sometimes if I need to cool the bowl faster, I pack bags of frozen veggies around the bowl!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCake

I made this icing for the first time this past weekend but it turned out really soft. Can somebody tell me what I might have done wrong?

It is very soft. It's like whipped cream.

pastrygirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl08 Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 2:40am
post #7 of 7

Am going to make a 3D cake Tow Mater and I always use whipped cream frosting on all my cake my I want to use Fondont or molding chocolate and I know you have to use buttercream for that I think buttercream is really sweet and I made the swiss buttercream and it was perfect it wasnt sweet at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%