Words Of Wisdom/advise

Business By Danishwiz Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 1:31am by Danishwiz

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:00am
post #1 of 3

So here is my story....

I LOVE cake decorating and want nothing more than to open my own bakery one day. However, I have a full time job that I can't afford to just up and quit. My local college does not offer any pasty arts classes. I found a community college a couple counties away that seems to have a good program. It's just finding the time to travel to take these classes between my job and taking care of my 5 year old son.

Is there anyone who was or is in a similar situation that has any advise for me. I'm at the point that I need to take major steps to make these changes in my life.

I would love to hear any and all stories and advise.

2 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:22am
post #2 of 3

I suggest your first step is to go to this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=742057&highlight

Pay special attention to the April 4, 2012 post by leah_s

The most important thing is NOT to depend on answers provided on this forum! If this is going to be YOUR business, then YOU will have to do all the research, create a business plan, identify marketing targets, save money to get you through the first year or two, look up statistics on failures and successes of new business start-ups, etc.

Second, talk to licensed baker/decorators in person. You may find that they never have weekends free and other little details that you don't think about when you are baking the occasional cake for fun.

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your thoughts. I will take a look at that thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%