Heavy Cake Question

Decorating By ashleyj Updated 20 Apr 2012 , 12:25am by arlenej

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 12:52am
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone!
I am making a soccer ball cake and placing it on top of a sheet cake. The problem I am having is the soccer ball is chocolate w/ganache filling and the finished product is extremely heavy. I can't imagine resting it on top of a 14x9 sheet cake without it sinking thru the cake. I don't think the sheet cake is tall enough to support the soccer ball. But maybe I'm wrong. Will straws/dowels placed in the sheet cake be enough support? I am open for any suggestions as I see a cake disaster in the making! Thank You!!

4 replies
kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:35am
post #2 of 5

Place the Ball on a small board and dowel or use straws. I have done it before. Is it a 2 layer sheet caker or just the one? I don't think that would really matter though but maybe someone else has a different opinion.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:37am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyj

Will straws/dowels placed in the sheet cake be enough support?

It will as long as you also use a cake board under the soccer ball. I'd also use a center dowel or a few skewers to prevent the ball from rolling off.

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

My sheet cake is only one cake torted and filled. The ball is already on a cardboard round but I just couldn't believe how heavy it turned out to be.
So if I support it w/several straws you think I will be okay?

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

Ashlyj, it's HEAVY. Err on the side of caution and use dowels, not straws. CWR41 had it right; send another dowel through the middle of the ball and into the sheet cake to avoid 'rollage'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%