Baking Jumbo Cupcakes

Baking By akaivyleaf Updated 18 Apr 2012 , 4:59pm by hsmomma

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 2

Not sure I'm asking this correctly - using the correct terminology but I hope you all understand what I'm referring to.

I already bake "normal" size cupcakes. I use a regular muffin pan to do so - all good on that front. I understand that if I want to bake mini-cupcakes there is a separate size pan to do so. I do not at this point and time want to go smaller. I do however want to go bigger. I have the "jumbo" wrappers (again not sure if this is the correct term). Do I also need a jumbo sized baking pan? I've searched around and it seems that everywhere I look on line I just see regular cupcake/muffin pans.

Now the really dumb question... Do I just use my jumbo wrappers in my regular pan? Fill them more than I would a regular wrapper? It seems as if the base of the jumbo wrappers are the same size as the regular, they just fan more, if that makes any sense.

1 reply
hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 2

Michael's and Joann stores sell the jumbo muffin tins (if you buy remember to use your 40% off coupon).
I have used the larger papers in the regular size muffin tins. Like you described, the jumbo papers fan out. I found when I baked them in regular size muffin tins...they ended up fanning out a bit while they baked. It worked though...they are a different shape then the ones that I bake in jumbo tins. The jumbo tins "hold" the top part of the papers in a bit more.
I say go for it and give it a try. If you don't like how they come out...try out one of those stores for the different pans.
Have fun.
ps. Obviously they bake longer than the regular size ones...but, I didn't notice a difference in how they bake in the regular size muffin tin with jumbo papers vs. jumbo papers in a jumbo muffin tin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%