Wilton Buttercream

Decorating By dopeytaz Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 5:15pm by Apti

dopeytaz Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

New to this board and the whole cake decorating thing. My 9 yr old and I took the first Wilton decorating class at a local craft store. My question is how long is the icing good for if kept in the refrigerator? How can you tell if it is still good or not?

Thanks in Advance for all your help.

13 replies
Marianna46 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 14

I've kept it in the refrigerator for a couple of months and it's never gone bad. I do this with leftover BC which I've used later on stuff for the family. However, unless it is sealed very tightly, it might pick up a strange taste from everything else that's in there.

dopeytaz Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you

denetteb Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 14

If I am going to be using more icing in a couple days I refrigerate it. If it will be longer I put it in the freezer where it can sit for months. Plus I am less likely to eat it if it is frozen. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:04am
post #5 of 14

Oh, denetteb, I hear you!

denetteb Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:07am
post #6 of 14

Ok, Marianna, full confession. I had two bowls of icing (buttercream but not the Wilton recipe) in the freezer and over a couple of days ate the whole thing frozen just this week. Chunky spoonful by chunky spoonful.. I need a buttercream anonymous support group some times.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:38am
post #7 of 14

You know, I've just found out that I'm a borderline diabetic, so I've had to cut that kind of stuff out, but believe me I know exactly where you're coming from! Do YOU know how many seconds it takes in the microwave to thaw 6 tablespoons of buttercream to put on exactly six cookies, so you can scarf them down all at once? I do. Er, sorry for hijacking this thread. I'll cut that out now, too, but PM me if you want to talk!

dopeytaz Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 10:07am
post #8 of 14

It is fine. I like the buttercream too. The teacher of our class said that once you make your own icing you won't buy store icing again. So far I believe it. It does taste good.

FullHouse Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 14

The official guidelines from Wilton are 2 weeks in the fridge, and 3 (or 4?) months in the freezer.

That being said, the Dept. of Agriculture guidelines say that buttercream does not need to be refrigerated.

I will keep it out on the counter while I am working on a project (i.e. if I make the icing Wed. and am using it Thurs. & Fri.). When I'm not in the midst of a project, I keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, then would put it in the freezer (though it generally doesn't make it that long).

akaivyleaf Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 14

Its addictive....

As I hang my head in shame. icon_redface.gif

Apti Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 14

Personally, I think the Wilton Buttercream (with no real butter in it) will survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 14

Well, you're probably right about that, Apti! I left it out accidentally for about a month (covered the container then stuck it away in a corner instead of in the fridge). When I opened it up to empty the carton before washing it, it was still fine - no fuzz, no crud, no untoward smell, in spite of the fact that I live in the tropics and my kitchen has no AC. So of course, I tried it and it still tasted like it was supposed to! You'll be glad to know I took the high road and tossed it anyway, but it just goes to show you.

AMACakes Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 14

You have some willpower Marianna. I would have eaten the bowl of it, old or not. It would have been like wasting good food. icon_sad.gif I would never have used it for an outside order though.

I have put the Wilton buttercream in the freezer for at least a month and kept it out on the counter for over a week. It's got a long shelf life.

Apti Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

You'll be glad to know I took the high road and tossed it anyway......

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%