All In My Head?!

Decorating By debidehm Updated 18 Apr 2012 , 4:50pm by shanter

debidehm Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

I swear that before I heard a lot of shortening had no trans-fat (and ppl here were having issues with their frosting's because of it), I had no problems with it. I thought well, I'm going to check my tub to see if I had one with trans-fat, and maybe that's why no problems yet. Nope...wrong. No trans-fat. So I'm wondering if this is all in my head, and that maybe I'm adding more liquid for some reason (same recipe I've used for years). The buttercream now seems "wetter" and doesn't crust like it used to. Might be time to try something new! Just a little frustrated! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 6

Isn't this what happens when you use shortening with no trans-fat? Maybe your brand made the switch to no trans-fats just about the time you decided to read the label. I'm pretty sure it's NOT in your head.

denetteb Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

You can still get shortening with trans fats if you look around. Try off brands, store brands or small grocery stores. I can get it her at a Save-a-lot store but no where else. I know high ratio is the most fabulous product but I don't decorate enough to justify the expense.

ReneeFLL Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

You can still get shortening with trans fats if you look around. Try off brands, store brands or small grocery stores. I can get it her at a Save-a-lot store but no where else. I know high ratio is the most fabulous product but I don't decorate enough to justify the expense.

If you buy hi-ratio in a 50 pd box at a place like Restaurant Depot it is cheaper. I think that the shelf life is about a year. I am not 100% sure so you will have to check the date. You can also freeze it in smaller bags.

denetteb Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 6

I just dabble with cakes as a hobby, that amount of shortening is just way too much for me.

shanter Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

I love that! I think I'll call myself a Cake Dabbler instead of a Hobby Baker. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%