Cupcakes Fell - Need Help (Newbie)

Baking By soapmaker-sue Updated 18 Apr 2012 , 10:19am by scp1127

soapmaker-sue Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:29am
post #1 of 3

I made the Pumpkin Ginger cupcakes on AllRecipes.com - they fell. I am not too worried about this batch as I was trying out the recipe. (They taste sooo good with the crystallized ginger!) I followed the recipe and creamed and creamed the soft butter with the sugars. I added the eggs (room temp) one at a time. I folded in the flour mixture with a spatula. Did I over mix the butter/egg stuff? I know that I baked them long enough. Also, the bottoms of the cupcake liners were oily. (I have grease proof liners on the way.)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-ginger-cupcakes/detail.aspx

Any suggestions!?!

Thanks in Advance!
Susan

2 replies
soapmaker-sue Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:00am
post #2 of 3

Sooo ... the batter tasted really good. The baked cupcakes are more like a pumpkin bread and my cheap, grocery store liners were super oily. I like the spices and crystallized ginger but am wondering if adding pumpkin is too much. Maybe I will try a yellow scratch recipe and add spices and crystallized ginger. I will have to make my own crystallized ginger. In exchange for crystallized ginger, the grocery store here wanted my first born child.

Thanks,
Susan

scp1127 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 10:19am
post #3 of 3

One thing I do is ROOM TEMP butter. That's 72 degrees. Not soft, but where you can just make a small dent in the butter with your finger. The energy from the mixer will soften it correctly.

Once you add the eggs, only mix enough to incorporate. Try again is all I can say. I have a stout gingerbread sinking on me. I have to date, made it seven times and it still sinks.

Your recipe may benefit from sitting on the counter for about twenty minutes. Let the gluten and the structure start. Plus, don't take out the cupcakes before they are completely done.

So this is what separates the scratch bakers from the box bakers. Don't give up.

Gingerbread is notorious for sinking with certain recipes. Let me know how round two goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%