Making 350 "popcorn" Cupcakes! Looking For Any Adv

Baking By JaceTheAce Updated 24 Apr 2012 , 9:26am by jimcarry

JaceTheAce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaceTheAce Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! I am just starting out with my cake decorating business and I mainly just do simple birthday cakes and sheet cakes and such. I have been asked to make 350 cupcakes for a circus themed formal dinner that is taking place in our community. I am just looking for some opinions and tips on how to prepare and also if you think charging $2.50 per cupcake would be fair? I always tend to undercharge, but I know that making this many cupcakes and the detail that will have to be put into them will take a lot of time. I also was wondering about making the batter ahead of time and freezing the batter? Has anyone done that before? Thank You! I appreciate any feedback!
LL

7 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

I have never frozen the batter before and have just recently seen the thread on this, so looking forward to trying it, but for that many cupcakes I would start making them a week or two ahead and freeze them, just make sure to wrap them carefully, then I would decorate them in batches and then rewrap in boxes and freeze so that you are not doing all the cupcakes at the same time. On the day of the delivery defrost the cupcakes by removing from the freezer and bringing to room temp before removing the wrapping and they should turn out great.

This is the process I have used in the past and I know that not everyone will agree, but so far it has worked for me! HTH!!

Lots of luck! icon_biggrin.gif

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

Do you have red/white cupcake liners or were you decorating the whole cupcake? I saw these the other day: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZU5BTC/?tag=cakecentral-20

Johnica10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnica10 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:07am
post #4 of 8

Hi, I have used frozen cupcake batter, and they turn out great! I have never baked and decorated and then froze and defrosted, so i am of no use in that department.

Good Luck!

Post some pictures of the finished product!

jimcarry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimcarry Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 9:21am
post #5 of 8

This weekend could not come any sooner (Is that the case every week maybe??). I feel like I have been running a life marathon for the last months, in between visiting my grand pap, vaca in Pairs, spa with my mum, and normal work there hasnt been time for much else! Not that I needed anything, these were all amazing events and so much fun, but it will be nice with a weekend with no plans (except a few dinners and a gym class, haha)! Well, hopefully I wont be bored for after so much action a full weekend of nothing might just be too much! I am counting on the blogosphere to keep me occupied. To be honest I am already getting ants in my pants, I need something fun to happen.

jimcarry Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 9:21am
post #6 of 8

This weekend could not come any sooner (Is that the case every week maybe??). I feel like I have been running a life marathon for the last months, in between visiting my grand pap, vaca in Pairs, spa with my mum, and normal work there hasnt been time for much else! Not that I needed anything,

jimcarry Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 9:24am
post #7 of 8

Ive really got to be stopped- Pretty sure I have created a kitchen baking monster inside of myself and shes gotten out of control.

This weekend passed in a blur of sugary kids cereal, buttercream, whoopie pies, and chocolate. I mean, honestly Kris your poor unsuspecting neighbors have no idea what they are about to embark on. Yikes.

Someone asked yesterday what I do with all of these goodies- as in, how do I not stuff them all in my face. Well, lets just say that the freezer is my friend. Its hard to chow down on 10 rock solid cookies- so you typically just keep it to 1 or 2.

jimcarry Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 9:26am
post #8 of 8

This, my friends, is what you call a popcorn cake.
If youre not, at the least, intrigued by the idea of a cake made from popcorn, you need to check your pulse!
There is no way that you could frequent this little blog of mine and NOT get a little giddy at the potential of this
A cake made of buttery, salty popcorn, dotted with colorful M&Ms and salty pretzel sticks, all held together by sticky, sweet marshmallow.
Yes and please and thank you very much.
I am 36 years old and this is the food that appeals to me.
Dont get me wrong, I eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains because I have to.
But marshmallow covered popcorn is one of those things I eat because I want to.
Its like televisionI watch the news because I think its necessary to have a small grasp of current events and you know..the weather.
But I make sure to get that TV junk food inbecause there isnt anything better than watching Bachelor Brad awkwardly asking a gal with vampire fangs if she is there for the right reasons.
Its called balance yall.
So since we are here in this judgment free zone, here are the dirty details
Prepare a large tube or bundt pan by spraying evenly with cooking spray.
Pop 2 bags of buttered microwave popcorn as directed on the package and dump into a large bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%