Booking The Date?

Business By Stephy42088 Updated 17 Apr 2012 , 1:21pm by akaivyleaf

Stephy42088 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:30am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone,
I met with a bride over a month ago for her wedding on June 9th. I didn't get a great vibe from her in the first place but decided I would work with her anyways. You can't turn down business for every person you don't get along with! So I met with her after hours per her request, talked about cake designs and then a few days later I made up some sketches and quotes and sent them along to her. During the consultation I told her that we require a 25% deposit to reserve the date, but if anyone else becomes interested in her date before I hear from her I will let her know before I book her date with someone else.
So almost a month go by and I haven't heard from her and usually I hear back from brides within the week, 2 weeks at most so I figure she has moved on and I book another bride for her date. Well today, she emails me and says she still interested and just wanted to let me know. WHAT?! It's been a month!
I can certainly handle two weddings in a weekend but I don't particularly want to for that weekend nor do I really want to work with her.
Am I bound to still work with her because I told her I would let her know if anyone else became interested in her date and I didn't let her know since I hadn't heard from her in almost a month? I almost feel guilty now that she says she's still interested and I definitely don't want to be on anyone's bad side but honestly, your wedding in 6 weeks and you are just getting back to me now??
Thoughts everyone??
Thank you! You all rock! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:48am
post #2 of 4

It sounds like you're in a bind here...if you say you are already booked the customer will probably be upset (and rightly so).

Six weeks should be enough lead time. I would take the order, and set a deadline for the deposit.

cakegrandma Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

It sounds like you're in a bind here...if you say you are already booked the customer will probably be upset (and rightly so).

Six weeks should be enough lead time. I would take the order, and set a deadline for the deposit.

I agree with jason_kraft and since you can do two weddings in the same weekend then do it. Just means some extra money for you and be sure to get her deposit and put in the contract when her final payment is due with no exceptions. If she does not do so then no cake for her.

akaivyleaf Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 4

I've come to realize that everybody doesn't work on the ideal time schedule that I work on. Imagine that LOLOLOL.... as such, if she had no concept of the amount of lead time you required, she might think 6 weeks is sufficient, especially not hearing back from you. Sometimes I go months without hearing from people, as long as I get their order (and deposit) one month in advance I'm able to work with them. Failure to have money and or enough time, the price jumps up,simply because people don't work on my ideal time schedule and I when I have to get on their time schedule, it costs them.

I would fulfill her order, provided she pays her deposit within the week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%