Filling A Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By SandyS Updated 20 Apr 2012 , 2:20pm by DianeLM

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 6

Is it possible to fill a topsy turvy cake with cookies and cream or strawberries?
Thanks,
Sandy

5 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 6

The first topsy turvy cake that I made I used ganache for the filling for two tiers and blueberry buttercream for the middle tier. The top and bottom were incredibly solid but the middle tier (with the BC) was a complete mess! I now only make topsy turvy cakes with ganache!

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 6

I am new to decorating and have only done one topsy turvey cake but I filled the bottom tier with a choc fudge buttercream and the top a raspberry vanilla buttercream and it was fine. I would think as long as your supports are good I don't know why there would be a problem?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 6

If you're using the illusion technique, you can use pretty much any filling you want since the layers will be level. Only the top layer of each tier is slanted.

If you'll be actually tilting your tiers, then a sturdy, non-slippery filling is in order. And refrigeration, if possible. I agree with cherrycakes that ganache is perfect for this application.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 3:30am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

If you're using the illusion technique, you can use pretty much any filling you want since the layers will be level. Only the top layer of each tier is slanted.

If you'll be actually tilting your tiers, then a sturdy, non-slippery filling is in order. And refrigeration, if possible. I agree with cherrycakes that ganache is perfect for this application.

So how do you make the dam?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

So how do you make the dam?

If you need a dam, you have to taper the tiers before filling them. But, you really don't need a dam with ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%