Cupcake Wars...have You Been To A Winner's Bakery?

Baking By Osgirl Updated 3 Jul 2014 , 3:51am by chassidyg

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 2:10am
post #1 of 42

A local baker won and had been on Cupcake Wars before coming in 3rd place.

I went to their bakery last fall as I had never been there before. So not impressed. I'm really surprised they won Cupcake Wars. Maybe their cupcakes are better now.

When I was there I saw them pull trays of cupcakes out of the frig. Well, sure enough, my cupcakes were dry, and the frosting was so hard from being in the frig that the frosting sunk to the bottom of the cupcake when I tried to dig in with my fork. Also many tasted similar or had very little flavor.

There's another local baker who came in 3rd place but I haven't had a chance to go to the bakery. The reviews are better than the one I mentioned above.

41 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 2:48am
post #2 of 42

That show confuses viewers into believing that hyped up entertainment equals good quality cupcakes. Buyer beware.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 6:25am
post #3 of 42

A little off-topic, but I just got Doron Petarson's book. I haven't tried any recipes yet, but the recipes look good. Chloe Coscarelli has her recipes on her site, and all cupcake Wars winning recipes are on the website.

I think any time a business expand beyond the hands-on care of the owner, the quality goes down. But the world commerce system is not based on one person, owner-only businesses. So we must do the best we can with employees, higher volume, and commercial equipment. So I'm surmising that the quality in shops may not be indicative of the owners' true skill levels.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 6:52am
post #4 of 42

I've been to Christopher Garren's shop (Amazing Wedding Cakes on WEtv). His red velvet bombe was FABULOUS.
(and I'm not a fan of red velvet!) I also purchased 2 other items which were good (can't remember exactly what they were), but, Boy, do I remember that bombe.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 10:40am
post #5 of 42

What bothers me about this (and most other baking shows) is the obvious lack of hygiene. The bakers - for the most part, do not cover their (sometimes) long untied-back hair. No one wears gloves (I don't either but I'm one person and I wash my hands constantly) and some of them even have long nails. I look at the judges and wonder if they think about any of this......

Apti Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 42

Claire138~~Yeah, that would be pretty funny if one of the judges got a hair in their cupcake!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

No one wears gloves (I don't either but I'm one person and I wash my hands constantly)......

A guy wearing gloves on Cupcake Wars did a cartwheel and went back to touching cupcakes right after his gloved hands were on the floor!

Claire138 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 42

I just saw that and pointed it out to my daughter!

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 42

I HAVE, I HAVE!!!! I've been to 3. In my area, we have 2 winners within 10 minutes of each other. And for the third it was in Manhattan Beach! I'm gaga for 2 out of 3. =)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 5:20am
post #10 of 42

CWR41, I saw that too and cannot figure out why FN didn't edit that out. I know they are lax on the hygiene because it looks bad on camera. Plus, I think the products on the shows are not eaten except by the judges. And on many shows, it isn't eaten at all.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 6:00am
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

No one wears gloves (I don't either but I'm one person and I wash my hands constantly)......

A guy wearing gloves on Cupcake Wars did a cartwheel and went back to touching cupcakes right after his gloved hands were on the floor!

That would be Brandon of Mission Minis here in SF, and he's been on twice now. I was surprised to see him get to the end making his micro mini cupcakes, I've never seen that before on the show - it's literally making 1/3 of the cake the other contestant made. Anyway, I don't love his cupcakes, but he's a good guy. He built his mini empire from, like, nothing and is a really giving, super cool person.

Ya'all have to understand, they are *not* looking for bakers, they are looking for people to give them good TV. You have to produce a slick audition tape, be good on camera, and "have lots and lots personality and wow factor", as I was told by a casting director that contacted me about auditioning. Cartwheels, drama, matching bows in your hair, tutus... all crap they want.

<-------------------Did not make the show. Would love to, but I suck on camera. I'm a bad faker.

<-------------------Does not have matching bows, tutus, and would probably need traction if I attempted a cartwheel. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 6:03am
post #12 of 42

Oh, and yes, I've had 4, and only one I thought was really good, although she did not win.

And I think Sprinkles cupcakes are terrible.

Claire138 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 6:04am
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

That would be Brandon of Mission Minis here in SF, and he's been on twice now. I was surprised to see him get to the end making his micro mini cupcakes, I've never seen that before on the show - it's literally making 1/3 of the cake the other contestant made. Anyway, I don't love his cupcakes, but he's a good guy. He built his mini empire from, like, nothing and is a really giving, super cool person.

Ya'all have to understand, they are *not* looking for bakers, they are looking for people to give them good TV. You have to produce a slick audition tape, be good on camera, and "have lots and lots personality and wow factor", as I was told by a casting director that contacted me about auditioning. Cartwheels, drama, matching bows in your hair, tutus... all crap they want.

<-------------------Did not make the show. Would love to, but I suck on camera. I'm a bad faker.

<-------------------Does not have matching bows, tutus, and would probably need traction if I attempted a cartwheel. icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome! just what I need first thing on a very cold tuesday morning icon_lol.gif Thanks!

HeidiCakesUtah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCakesUtah Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 42

Does anyone know if people can attend a taping of Cupcake Wars?

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 42

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed the serious lack of hygiene on the show. I think the thing that gets me is when they taste something & then stick that same spoon back in the batter/icing to get a taste for someone else. ICK...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching it for the entertainment value, and the impressive final displays that they make. I don't know if anyone from the greater Houston area has been on the show so who knows if I've been to a winner's bakery.

Claire138 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

CWR41, I saw that too and cannot figure out why FN didn't edit that out. I know they are lax on the hygiene because it looks bad on camera. Plus, I think the products on the shows are not eaten except by the judges. And on many shows, it isn't eaten at all.

I don't think it's only the judges that eat them, don't they take the finished cupcakes with them to whatever function they have been competing for?

FromScratchSF Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:08pm
post #17 of 42

It's a closed set, so no, you can't view a taping.

Thru the magic of TV they make it look like the event the winner gets to go to is the same night as the taping, but I am fairly certain it is not. I could be wrong, but the cucpakes they make on the show get tossed and they re-make them for whatever event a day or two (or a few months) later. That's why big foofy hair, make-up, and feather hairpieces are no problem.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:19pm
post #18 of 42

Even if you could go to a taping, these types of shows typically shoot for several hours (if not more) to get enough footage to edit into a reasonably coherent 22 or 44 minute narrative. You would probably be bored out of your mind.

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 42

I do love to watch cake shows and cupcake wars, and I totally agree with the hygiene issue, I know that they are looking for glitz and glamor personalities, however when I see some of them come on there with sleeveless shirts with their bra hanging out it totally turns me off to wanting to try their cupcakes, their armpits are hanging over the cupcakes and frostings, yuck!! and I've seen them toss their hands in hair and right back to working with batters.

Claire138 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:29pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Even if you could go to a taping, these types of shows typically shoot for several hours (if not more) to get enough footage to edit into a reasonably coherent 22 or 44 minute narrative. You would probably be bored out of your mind.

Interesting bc I've always wondered about the judges just sitting there while this goes on. I imagine they leave regularly and just come back from time to time.

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:47pm
post #21 of 42

I just watched the all male returning contestants episode (the most recent one I believe) and it seemed that everytime they showed the guy from Mission Minis, he was telling his assistant what to do, like he wasn't really capable of doing anything himself. It was as if he was just there supervising.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:56pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Interesting bc I've always wondered about the judges just sitting there while this goes on. I imagine they leave regularly and just come back from time to time.

Just like with any other scripted show, reality shows have a shooting schedule so the actors (judges, hosts, celebrity guests) only need to be on set for their part.

irish559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish559 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:05pm
post #23 of 42

I have been to a local winner's shop- before they were on the show. I was totally unimpressed. It was cafeteria style- pick a cupcake flavor, then a filling, then an icing. Long lists of flavors were listed, but in reality, only 2 or 3 were available. My finished cupcakes were nothing memorable and looked amaturish. I will say, after winning Cupcake Wars, she had people lined up for days, often waiting in the rain to try her cupcakes. I can't believe what it did to boost her business. She's now looking at opening another location. So, if you want to increase business- go on CW!

Apti Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:17pm
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Cartwheels, drama, matching bows in your hair, tutus... all crap they want.

LL

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:31am
post #25 of 42

I haven't been to a winner's cupcake shop, but I have tried the cupcakes from Kissi's Cakes in Columbus, Ohio. (she was eliminated in the 2nd round on the soccer episode.) I think her cupcakes are pretty good, and her cake balls are delicious!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:03pm
post #26 of 42

I have had Sprinkles cupcakes and I think they are gross. They have that generic mass produced taste.

poorlittlefish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poorlittlefish Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 11:16am
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed the serious lack of hygiene on the show. I think the thing that gets me is when they taste something & then stick that same spoon back in the batter/icing to get a taste for someone else. ICK....

You can bet that if they can do gross things like that on national TV then they are doing the same - and worse - when no-one's looking in their bakeries. Yuck.

One thing I don't believe about the show is that the contestants literally come up with their ideas on the spot and miraculously all the ingredients they need are there. Some of the things they put into the batters/frostings can be pretty unusual, especially for those who do gluten-free/vegan etc, so I simply cannot believe the show has everything there on hand. They must film the bit where the bakers come up with the ideas then stop the countdown while people go and source all the stuff. Either that, or the bakers are given the theme of the show beforehand so they come pre-prepared and the whole thing is scripted to make it look like the theme is a surprise.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:05pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish559

I have been to a local winner's shop- before they were on the show. I was totally unimpressed. It was cafeteria style- pick a cupcake flavor, then a filling, then an icing. Long lists of flavors were listed, but in reality, only 2 or 3 were available. My finished cupcakes were nothing memorable and looked amaturish. I will say, after winning Cupcake Wars, she had people lined up for days, often waiting in the rain to try her cupcakes. I can't believe what it did to boost her business. She's now looking at opening another location. So, if you want to increase business- go on CW!

I bet you I know which one you are talking about. Yep, she had a line. She also had good luck. She had her show on the week before February recess. Want something to do with the kids, go get a cupcake. While I didn't have a line for hours like she did, I was just as busy and sold out every day. We upped our production by tripling what we normally do and I still did not have enough to last me till closing. And I got an earful too. Like how she only baked 1,000 cupcakes a day and would not even bother to announce that she was running low to the line. And how awful her cupcakes tasted too. And could I please tell them just exactly she won in the first place. Some customers pleading me to answer that question.

I can't say more because I will sound bitter, given that I own a cupcake shop in the same town. But you are right about the CW thing and increasing business. Although I understand it has dropped off dramatically, from what I hear. I keep saying (and I mean it lovingly) that I am going to put a sign outside my shop that says Cupcake Complaint Board because we hear about all the other places from our customers. It really does make wonder what other customers say about us to the other cupcake shop owners. I am not naive enough to not know that it works both ways.

As for us going on CW, stay tuned. I am still on the fence. My daughter isn't though, she wants to go on. She'll probably take me kicking and screaming the whole way. She thinks we'll make great television, but really all the family infighting on television? I don't know how it will come across. And I don't mean bad infighting, we don't hate each other. We just have a certain way of talking to each, YKWIM.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 5:57pm
post #29 of 42

I've been to a cupcake shop in Omaha where the owner made it to the final round, but sadly, lost. His family's shop is incredible! Very polished and modern and fun. They give away free cupcakes every day to the first 100 customers who ask for the day's special flavor, and I've had a few of those. YUMMMM! Interesting flavors and delicious icing. If I could get a job there decorating, I would be in heaven!!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:52pm
post #30 of 42

I have to update my response, given that the local shop owner won on Sunday during a re-match of past contestants who hadn't won previously. I'm going to try to get over to the shop to try out the Peach Mimosa cupcake...it sounds divine! (As divine as a non-chocolate cupcake can be!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%