Help Please. Skill Level Or Price?

Business By lcressel Updated 17 Apr 2012 , 4:33am by Apti

lcressel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcressel Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 17

Hello All,

I am a new home baker (Texas Cottage Law) and I recently started selling cakes for sell a little over a month ago. March I was steady and had to turn down a few orders. This month I have only received 4 orders. 2 of which have already been filled.

I have a FB page and a website, although it is not fully optimized, and I have been using a free credit from Google Ads which has been generating at least 6 hits per day. I also just added some car decals to the sides of my car.

My question is do you think that it might be my skill level that is not bringing in any customers or are my prices too expensive?

I have several cakes in my gallery and my basic buttercream cakes start at $3.00 and fondant at $4.00.

I have a full time job but I love making beautiful and tasty cakes and was hoping to one day have storefront. But, lately I have been second guessing if that will ever be.

Please share whatever insight you have.

TIA
Lakeisha

16 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 17

I think that your prices are fine. As a new baker it will take some time to build up the client base and to get your name out there. You have some nice cakes in your gallery. Keep practicing and learn as much as you can. You will get even better as time goes on. Don't get discouraged. Some months you will have more orders and other months not as many.

lcressel Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you Renee!

ReneeFLL Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 17

I think that your prices are fine. As a new baker it will take some time to build up the client base and to get your name out there. You have some nice cakes in your gallery. Keep practicing and learn as much as you can. You will get even better as time goes on. Don't get discouraged. Some months you will have more orders and other months not as many.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 17

I agree with Renee, give it some time! I think the amount of jobs you have gotten so far is actually really good for such a new business. Just keep doing what you're doing, the business will come and grow. The great thing about word of mouth is that it has the potential to exponentially grow your business! Your prices are fine, and you have some nice work in your gallery. Good luck!

ReneeFLL Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 17

Wow, not sure how I got a duplicate post. They are even 9 minutes apart.

Like Lovesmesomecake said just keep doing what your doing and it will grow.
Good luck and happy decorating.

lcressel Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks again for the feedback. It is appreciated!

KimmW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmW Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 17

I am a newbie as well. Nice cakes! I would suggest photographing your cakes with a solid background. I'm not expert, but am laying a white tablecloth with a piece of white foam core board behind it. That way, my kitchen, decor, plug-ins, view out the window, etc... does not detract from the cake.

FWIW,
Kimm

lcressel Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 17

Kim,

That makes sense.

Thanks!

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 17

I'm a relatively newbie as well icon_smile.gif I also try to photograph cakes with a solid background. I've used white and am now using black which I LOVE!

Also, when we can (like if we have extra batter) we'll make extra cupcakes...sometimes minis and give them away around the community. Or give to friends to take to work with a few business cards. Or sometimes do a "giveaway" on your facebook page. We do that especially for the person who is our "300th" like or something like that icon_smile.gif It's REALLY helped our business. We are getting to the point that we have to turn people away often because we just can't handle 8 cakes in one weekend in our house! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 17

lcressel~~Since this was posted in the Business forum, I'll respond with a business answer. I don't think it is your skill level (the cakes in your photos look very professional), or your prices. I think it may be your lack of a specific, targeted plan to identify how to market your cakes to potential customers who WILL pay the prices you ask for your products.

Have you prepared a business plan?
http://articles.bplans.com/writing-a-business-plan

If you have not done your due diligence and treated this AS A BUSINESS, then you will have hobby results. Look up the statistics for small business start-ups. You will find that most of them fail to generate ANY revenue for one to two years.

ankita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ankita Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 17

hummm.... price n skill both are good in ur case... the best n easy way to get costomer is by impressing the kids.... also have bake sale for raising funds as much as u can, I bet this can pull the customers more easily , n find more other ways to impress people personally than ad.

lcressel Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 12:00am
post #13 of 17

I have taken notes to all of your replies both here and those that I recieved privately. You all have been very helpful!

Apti Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 12:35am
post #14 of 17

Here's what I use for photos of my cakes, tri-fold poster boards. They are only a couple of bucks each at a craft store. I lay one on the table and put one up behind. I've been using white, but think I'll try black now that it has been mentioned!

These are example at this link to show how it looks when you take cake photos.
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/316

With a gold tablecloth draped over the tri-fold boards:
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/371
LL

lcressel Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 1:10am
post #15 of 17

Apti, thanks for the exampleicon_smile.gif I purchased some fabric yesterday but didn't know about using the cardboard as well for the photos.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:22am
post #16 of 17

Remember too that your state just got CFL. There may be an abundance of bakers that jumped on the "business" bandwagon. You may have a saturated market until a few who priced wrong get tired of making no money and drop out.

This is one of my criticisms of CFL. With no investment, or skin in the game, many will have no clue of price, not pay taxes correctly, and just, bluntly, take a long time to realize that every order actually put them in the hole. In that time, the unrealistic pricing has wreaked havoc on the market and those actually trying to run a business get squeezed out by those who price too low.

So keep doing what you are doing. Keep your prices where they should be, and ride out what may be a saturated market with unrealistic prices. Eventually you will get what you want.

Apti Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:33am
post #17 of 17

You're welcome. I can't wait to see how they look with black tri-fold boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%