Marshmallow Frosting Help!!

Baking By lisaleigh2828 Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 10:50pm by FlourPots

lisaleigh2828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaleigh2828 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:11am
post #1 of 4

I've tried to make this frosting 3 times now.. I just cant seem to get it.. Heres what I did..
I mixed 1 cup of butter with 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tbsp on vanilla extract and 8 oz of marshmallow fluff.. Ive beat it for 15-20 mins and its still creamy... almost runny.. So i tried adding an egg white.. still no change.. Please someone help!! what am I doing wrong? icon_mad.gif

3 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:24am
post #2 of 4

With that amount of fluff, I think you may need to increase everything else.

The marshmallow bc recipe that I'm in love with right now is by Mrsmudrash...it's on her blog, under "What buttercream do you use?"
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html )

1 lb unsalted butter - whip for 10 min on high
1 - 7oz jar of marshmallow cream - whip on high for 5 min
1 lb powdered sugar - whip on high for 5 min
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream - whip on high for 5in
3 Tbsp vanilla - whip until incorporated.

This makes a really light amazing buttercream. You can add more heavy whipping cream (the liquid, not actual whipped cream) if you want, depending upon the consistency you're looking for.
*You can also throw in a block of cream cheese at room temp to make it even more yummy!

lisaleigh2828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaleigh2828 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 4

Oh.. See what I did was put in all in a bowl and mixed it... no pre mixing at all. Could that be the problem?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 4

I still feel like it's the ingredient amounts, but I'm definitely no expert, so I could be wrong!

The shortening based bc that I also use, I've done both ways...beating the heck out of it in stages, and also dumping everything in with almost no mixing in-between...same result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%