Icing For Tres Leches

Baking By jesika3434 Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 4:25pm by sind0830

jesika3434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesika3434 Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Ive been making tres leches cake for a while now and I usually leave the cake in its foil container and just ice the top. I recently got asked to do a 1/2 sheet of tres leches for a first communion which would require me to ice the entire cake and add decorations. To practice I made the cake and used Wilton's stabilized whipped icing from their website. I iced the whole cake but notice a little bit of the leche came out from one of the corners. Is there a better whipped icing to use or did I not ice it properly to prevent the leak? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 10:11am
post #2 of 11

I think this is just a property of tres leches cakes. They're so full of liquid that it's hard to avoid them leaking. Here in Mexico they ice them with meringue (egg whites beaten with sugar and a few drops of lemon juice), but the still leak. I would suggest you just deliver it with a foil "fence" around the edges and clean up as much of the liquid as you can at the venue.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Here in Mexico they ice them with meringue (egg whites beaten with sugar and a few drops of lemon juice), .

Hola Marianna, the meringue you're talking about is the Italian Meringue? does it call for a lot of butter? do you mind sharing the recipe? ok, gracias!!

Btw, you live in a paradise...Cancun thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 11

Hey, Rosie, how's everything? .What they use here.is just the kind of meringue you'd put on meringue pies. You beat egg whites till they're fluffy then you add granulated sugar little by little till it's glossy. After that you beat in a little lemon juice or vanilla, if you prefer. I'm sorry to say I don't have the amounts, but you might find them in a lemon meringue pie recipe. You just cover the cake with that, but you don't have to run it under a broiler like you do for pies, you just leave it as is.
I agree with you about Cancún. I retired here a couple of years ago from Mexico City because my children live here with their families. I've never looked back!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 11

Graciasssssss Marianna, thank you sooooo much, this is great. I can see how that type of meringue would hold in hot climate.

And yes, I've visited Cancun a couple of times and I think is the most beautiful place on earth!! no kidding.

Saludos desde USA icon_smile.gif

jesika3434 Posted 9 May 2012 , 7:24am
post #6 of 11

Thank u!

Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:15am
post #7 of 11

You're welcome, jesika3434 - I hope it works out for you!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:55am
post #8 of 11

This is my recipe that I use for my Tres Leches cakes. The cake pictured it white and chocolate Tres Leches cakes. When stacking and decorating a Tres Leches cake you can't use as much milks as listed in an authentic Tres Leches recipe. A friend of mine requested a Tres Leches cake that was moist but not soggy that could be decorated so this is what I came up with. The cake pictured in the recipe was frosted using Frostin Pride a non dairy frosting that you whip like whipping cream. It also has fondant accents. The trick is to only poke holes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the edge of the cake. A little bit of the milks leaking on the side is ok just wipe it off with a paper towel before frosting. The three tiered wedding cake in my photos titled Maria's wedding cake is also a Tres Leches cake frosted in my crusting butter cream. They don't have to be soggy to be a good Tres Leches. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-tres-leches-cake/detail.aspx The amount of milks in this recipe is what I use for my decorated Tres Leches.

jesika3434 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:32am
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the advice. i didnt know you can stack a tres leches cake!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:14am
post #10 of 11

Unfortunately yes you can stack Tres Leches cakes you just have to make sure you don't over soak your cake layers. I have a large order of ten cakes in a couple of months. The lady I make them for likes them moist but not soggy. Not my favorite cakes to make but she only orders white and chocolate tres leches with a vanilla mousse.

sind0830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sind0830 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 11

AI made the meringue but am having a hard time icing the cake with it. Every time I pass my spatula over the cake and icing it comes off. Is this normal?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%