How Long Is Your Order Contract?

Business By vgcea Updated 28 Apr 2012 , 5:53pm by vgcea

vgcea Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 6:12am
post #1 of 9

I'm working on my order contract and so far there seems to be a lot of info I want to include to sufficiently cover all bases. I don't want to scare my clients with a super long document but since I have provisions for different scenarios e.g. responsibilities when I deliver vs when they pick up, not all the sections will apply to each client. As much as I would like to have a shorter version for smaller orders (less than $150.00), I like the convenience of one document with each client just initialing whichever applies to them.

How long is your contract? Do you have a different one for different types of events or do you use one form?

8 replies
vgcea Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 10:26am
post #2 of 9

bump

akaivyleaf Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe since I am just starting out with formalization, my order form is only one page. I've been semi-professional for awhile, just moving into doing this for people I might not personally know so that necessitated something written. I guess I haven't fallen into some pitfalls noted here yet.

On another note, I own a business that has been in business for nearly 100 years (passed down in the family) and its contract has gone from none, just a handshake, to an index card, to a 8.5x11 to its present legal size. I do understand that circumstances cause for additional clauses, but I have been very attentive to what necessitates a clause worthy of all contracts, and what is an outlier. I find that the longer the contract, the attention span of the client wanes.

vgcea Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaivyleaf

I find that the longer the contract, the attention span of the client wanes.

This ^^ is what worries me. I'm working on putting only the most important stuff to shorten it. I'd hate to leave something out and then have it come bite me in the backside later. Thanks for sharing akaivyleaf.

FrostThis Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 9

I have a ten bullet section in my contracts for terms of the contract. They are short and to the point. It works well in explaining the conditions.

If you would like to take a look, email me through here and I would be happy to share, icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

My contract is four pages long and the client has to initial each page then sign the last page. If they get bored and don't read it, oh well, as long as they initial it I'm happy.

vgcea Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks FrostThis. I sent you an email.

Costumeczar what I currently have is a little over 4 pages. I know you do mostly weddings, so I can see how that would be longer. Do you use the same contract for non-wedding cakes? I just feel weird about giving a client a 4 page long contract to sign for an $85 cake.

costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Thanks FrostThis. I sent you an email.

Costumeczar what I currently have is a little over 4 pages. I know you do mostly weddings, so I can see how that would be longer. Do you use the same contract for non-wedding cakes? I just feel weird about giving a client a 4 page long contract to sign for an $85 cake.

I pretty much use it for everything, unless it's a client who's bought a wedding cake in the past and is just getting a little birthday cake or something. Anything that's custom and I'm going to have to put any kind of work into is going to have a contract with it. Put it this way, if refunding the entire amount of the cake is going to be a painful thing I'll use a contract. If I do a little $50 anniversary cake for someone that takes ten minutes to decorate and they don't like it I'll be po'ed about refunding, but I'll do it and it won't hurt me. For a $250 3-D car cake I'm going to use a contract.

vgcea Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Put it this way, if refunding the entire amount of the cake is going to be a painful thing I'll use a contract.

When you put it like that costumeczar I can't see a reason not to use my epistle of a contract icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%