Freezing A Wedding Cake 2 Week In Advance?

Decorating By ladycake71 Updated 10 Dec 2012 , 4:16pm by denetteb

ladycake71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake71 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone. Just wanted to get some thoughts or ideas or see if anyone has done this before. I promised that I would do an informal wedding cake for a couple at our church (it is not their "real" wedding cake, just one for the church). The problem is the "reception" is on June 3rd and I will be on vacation. My husband and I are leaving on May 18th. Has anyone ever completed a wedding cake and then froze it and then set it up at a later time? The only other option I can think of is to make a bunch of royal icing flowers and then have other people make cupcakes and they can decorate the cupcakes with the flowers I made.

Any advice/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks for listening!

Happy Caking!!!

Sam

11 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 12

I would say it depends on your design. I was making a friends graduation cake ahead of time as I had planned to be gone the month before the event. I was dying to do a rosette cake and they were fine with that. So I made 3 rosette cakes and have a stand that doesn't require stacking that I got at Target, something like this http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2F1EA59E-423B-522D-F30AE2F059565F21&fid=2F1EA5CD-423B-522D-FE6EBB97DD852308 so no stacking was required. All they would have to do was take them out of their individual plastic cake carriers and put them on the stand. Done. I chose a design that didn't have colors so I didn't have to be concerned about colors running. Our plans changed and I was there for the event and they were just fine. And they looked great! You could definitely make something work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 12

Her ^^^ suggestion is one of the most perfect ones around icon_smile.gif
There are several ways individual tiers of cake can be displayed. I have a few in my photos you could consider.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 1:30am
post #4 of 12

Sure. You can freeze a decorated & stacked cake. I've done it with BC, fondant, and w/ royal flowers.

Box completed cake. Wrap box in at least 2 layers of saran, one layer of foil. Freeze. 24hrs. before display, place in fridge still boxed & wrapped. At least 2 hrs. before serving, place still boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. When ready to display, remove wrapping.

Rae

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 1:46am
post #5 of 12

I personally wouldn't freeze a cake decorated in fondant...it sweats as it defrosts, but a cake covered in buttercream will freeze well. BlakesCakes has told you how to wrap it. You shouldn't have a problem.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 2:00am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

I personally wouldn't freeze a cake decorated in fondant...it sweats as it defrosts, but a cake covered in buttercream will freeze well. BlakesCakes has told you how to wrap it. You shouldn't have a problem.

No.
If you follow my directions, the cake won't sweat as it defrosts. You're keeping the cold cake from coming in contact with warm moist air by keeping it wrapped until it comes to room temp, so it CAN'T sweat because it's not forming condensation.

I've done it many times.

White fondant, ruby red fondant damask. Frozen for 10 days per the instructions I've provided above. This is a photo from the client. Feedback was that cakes were "perfect and tasted like they had been made that very day."

Rae

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 2:35am
post #7 of 12

Rae~~That is so COOL! (forgive the pun)

This flies in the face of "conventional cake forum wisdom", but photos and customer comments don't lie.

So....Since I'm a hobby baker and just got an upright freezer for my porch, I could be making practice cakes with FONDANT and freezing those puppies???

Woo ee neighbor!

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 11:33am
post #8 of 12

BlakesCakes, that is a pretty cake!

juliepalangi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliepalangi Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 12

I am making a cake for my step-ma's birthday May 24th and I have to transport it - finished - from Maryland to Ohio. Thanks a zillion BlakesCakes for the directions- I have been worrying excessively about a disaster. Breathing a little easier now....

Julie

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Sure. You can freeze a decorated & stacked cake. I've done it with BC, fondant, and w/ royal flowers.

Box completed cake. Wrap box in at least 2 layers of saran, one layer of foil. Freeze. 24hrs. before display, place in fridge still boxed & wrapped. At least 2 hrs. before serving, place still boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. When ready to display, remove wrapping.

Rae

Wow, thanks a million Rae, this is awesome information!!! I always thought you could not freeze a fondant cake and I just found out you can, wohooo!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif quick question: does it has to be a especial box or a cake box would do? also about freezing a stacked cake--where do you find a box big enough to freeze a stacked cake?? what if I want to decorate after defrosting the cake...will the fondant be sticky??

I'm a hobby baker, and I already have a standing freezer, but i'm thinking on getting another one just for my cake stuff icon_biggrin.gif

Bodark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bodark Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 10:39am
post #11 of 12

I know that this is an old thread now, but I'm new to the site. I live in Brisbane, Australia where the weather is generally hot and humid. Being new to decorating this thread has answered a huge dilemma for me. Another thank you Rae.icon_biggrin.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 12

Bodark, welcome to the forums.  Looking through old threads is a great way to find out information.  A great way to search is to use google.  Type in       red icing cake central      brings up many relevant threads on cake central.  This works better than the cake central search function.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%